Skip to main content

JANUARY 2023 BOOKS READ


 


The new year started out with a decent month of reading.   I finished eight books.   Only 1 was a five star, 2 came in at four stars, 3 at three and 2 at two.  As usual, my 2 star books were rated much higher by the majority of people, so what do I know?!   Maybe you will find a book or two here that you will enjoy.   As always, I welcome your recommendations.   What cha got??

I started out with one of my 2 star books and finished with one - but I enjoyed the "in betweens".    

Bewilderment by Richard Powers

Theo Byrne is a astrobiologist who along with his son, Robin, is grieving the death of his wife and learning how to do life without her.   Robin is an unusual 9 year old who thinks and feels deeply - to the point of some thinking he should be on psychoactive drugs.   Theo is not sure that is the answer and steps into the world of experimental treatment.   A common thread throughout the story is also Robin's concern about the planet and the destruction of it.

I did not enjoy this book.   I don't know if it is just too intellectual, sci-fi or why.   I wanted to feel empathy for Theo but never could.  I know it is also a story of a father's love and the bond between him and his son which was touching.   Just the overall story and the writing style did not hit my sweet spot.  

⭐⭐



When Remington finds himself in early retirement, he announces to his wife Serenata that he is giving up his sedentary life and is going to run a marathon.   Serenata was always the one that exercised while Remington was not interested.   Now in their 60's Serenata's knees no longer allow her to run.  She has never been a fan of group activities.   Now she finds her husband in the midst of a group doing something that she sees as a slap in the face.

It was fun reading a book about my peer group that reflected a post retirement crisis.   So many stories about people in their 60's are about protagonist, this one is about "normal" people.   The situations they found themselves in, the decisions they had to make, the reason Remington lost his job and Serenata's was becoming a struggle were all believable.   I can't say that I would like to be their neighbors, but I enjoyed spending time getting to know Remington and Serenata.

Lionel Shriver is a writer that I enjoy reading.   She is not afraid to go places that are not necessarily accepted views.   She writes about our age group in a real way and has a style that is easy to read and straightforward.

⭐⭐⭐⭐  



A love story, a story of the price of war, a family story and the story of a fig tree.   A Greek Cypriot and a Turkish Cypriot meet and fall in love on the small island where they live.  War tears them apart and sets their families on opposite sides.  Throughout the story is a common thread of a fig tree who helps tell the story.

This book tells the story in a quiet way that uses wonderful prose.   The way everything unfolds was interesting and the fig tree was a surprisingly good way to tell parts of the story.   I enjoyed being drawn into this world.

⭐⭐⭐


The Boys from Biloxi by John Grisham    

The story of two families from the Point in Biloxi that took different paths in life.   The Malcos went into the life of vice while the Rudys went into a life of law.   Keith Rudy and Hugh Malco grew up together as friends.  They were both star baseball players and spent a lot of time together.   Until their teenage years when Hugh had began to follow in his dad's footsteps and Keith started to follow his dad's.  Hugh's life went into the shady side of booze, gambling, prostitution, etc.   Keith's became one of law school and setting out to, like his dad, fight for what is right.   

I think it's been 9 years since I read a book by John Grisham.   The writing style of this one was not what I expected or remembered.   This is written in third person narrative and at times felt like I was reading a newspaper article or school report.   I never got connected to any of the characters - good or bad.  The result was that while I was interested in where the story was headed, I didn't feel compelled to pick up the book.   At 464 pages that resulted in taking a little while to get it read.  

This was our book club pick for the month.   It was well written and we learned some interesting things, but overall I just felt too detached.

⭐⭐⭐


Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak

Mallory Quinn, fresh out of rehab, is hired as a nanny for five year old Teddy.   Ted and Caroline Maxwell, Teddy's parents, seem like a good couple to work for.   They provide her a place to live and Mallory bonds quickly with Teddy.   Teddy likes to draw the usual things a five year old would, but his art and his level of ability soon take a turn that leaves Mallory questioning what is really happening.  

This was an interesting story.  It is well written and there there are illustrations of Teddy's drawings that enhance the story.   For some reason I didn't realize how the level of the supernatural it was going to go and so that was a little bit of an issue for me.  I am very much a realist and have a hard time stretching into the supernatural.   But this story was worth stretching.  

My rating was rounded up from 3 1/2 stars due to the illustrations.   A creative addition.
A
⭐⭐⭐⭐


The Messy Lives of Book People by Phendra Patrick

The Green family is barely scraping by.   Liv works as a maid to help make ends meet due to the struggling family businesses where her husband spends a lot of time and effort.   Live had dreamed of being an author, so while she hasn't reached that goal, she has found herself cleaning the house of her favorite author.  When this author, Essie Starling, dies suddenly, one of her last wishes is for Liv to finish her novel.   The one caveat is that nobody can know that Essie has dies until November 1.   So Liv enters a secret world which results in changes to her relationship with her husband, her sons and herself.

This book was a quick, easy just ok read.   There were unbelievable situations and results.   If you are in the mood for a book that requires no thinking, just going with the story, than you may enjoy this book,   If you are looking for something with depth, then I'd say skip this one.

⭐⭐⭐


Forsaken Country by Allen Eskens

Max Rupert has left his job as a detective and has moved to a remote area to mourn the lost of his wife and the guilt he has.   There he is partially off the grid and has lost his clean shaven looks.  All that changes when a former local sheriff, Lyle Voight, comes to him with a pleas for Max to help him find his daughter and grandson who he is convinced has been kidnapped,   As much as Max wants to resist, he finds himself drawn in due to wanting to save the child.  A dangerous criminal, a desperate father and ghosts of the past combine to send Max and Lyle on a journey to find and save Lyle's family.

Allen Eskens writing style is in my wheelhouse.   He keeps me on edge waiting to see where the story is going to take me.   His writing reflects not only a good suspense story, but also addresses the morals involved when making choices between what you know is right and what is wrong.  

I have read several of Mr. Eskens books.   I have not read The Deep Dark Descending which sets up the background for Max's withdrawal from society.   While not necessary, I wish I had already read it.   It's on my TBR list now.     

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


All Together Now by Matthew Norman

A story of a group of mid thirty year olds who have been friends since high school.  Robbie is the well known billionaire who is dying.   He invites his friends, Cat, Blair and Wade, to join him one last time at Fenwick Island.   None of them know Robbie's diagnosis, nor do they know the struggles they are each facing in their lives.   That is except Robbie - he knows.  Over the weekend, it all comes to light and they each, in their own way try to help each other deal with it all.

So - from my favorite book of the month to my least favorite.   Perhaps I am too old for this book, but I don't think that was the problem.   The plot sounded promising to me, but the writing seemed shallow.   It covers a lot of heavier topics, but none that brought any real emotion to me.   Those of you who, like me, are older will understand when I say it reminded my of The Big Chill but with characters who were much more shallow.

⭐⭐



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i