Skip to main content

July 2024 Reads



I read 8 books this month   I enjoyed them all with 4 of them rating 4 stars, and 4 of them rating 3 stars.  Here are my thoughts on each one.

The Husbands - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Holly Gramazio


This was a fun book to read.  It stretched my normal “based in realty” self and it was an enjoyable ride.  There were a few plot holes and I expected a little more depth as far as what Lauren learned from the experience.  But overall it kept my attention and entertained.  Sometimes that’s enough from a book.


The Drowning Woman - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Robyn Harding


This was our book club pick for the month and it was a good choice.  I kept guessing where it was headed and was half right and half wrong.  It wasn’t always believable and the ending was a little too easy.  But getting there was a fun ride.  


The plot does have some loose similarities to Housemaid - different settings but still a lot alike.  So you may want some time between reading those two books if both are on your radar.


The Librarianist - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Patrick Dewitt


First, if you go into this book thinking it is going to have literary references and/or time spent in a library, you will be disappointed.   The librarianist is a retired librarian who is a loner and decides to stretch himself.  The bits and pieces of his life are interesting and I was enjoying the story until it hit a section in the 1940’s that was like a stand alone story.  It never tied into the rest of the story.  It was a large part of the book and would have been better as the basis for another book.  


I often wonder when I read a book about older people if I’d enjoy it as much.  I think I would, but 🤷‍♀️.  Either way, overall it was a good read.


The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Jennifer Ryan


There are a lot of historical fiction books about the WW2 period, so like many others, I have gotten to where I often shy away from them.  This one was a book club pick and I’m glad it was.  It is a little different view of the time and was interesting.   


I enjoyed reading about the community and how it came together.  I also liked how the women changed and how the friendships developed.  I felt as if the story needed a little more depth.  That’s what kept from being more than a decent, average read for me.


Black Cake - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Charmaine Wilkerson


This was my July book for my 12 Books in 12 Months reading.  I was thankful when a friend recommended it for that because I had it on my TBR list for a while. 


This book started out good.  I was drawn in and ready to get to know this family.  However, as the book went on I never really became engaged with the people or the story.  It was so full of social issues, that at times were just randomly thrown in and the POV’s grew.  There were times that deeper occurrences in life were glossed over.  While the book seemed to be headed towards some surprises, they never really were.  I pretty much knew what was coming.  The premise and the idea of the story outweighed the telling.


The Fury - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Alex Michaelides


This book was on its way to a high 4 or 5 star read until it took a turn that left me wondering why.  If this book were about younger people, I MIGHT would have believed it.  But these are people who have been around long enough and have enough experience in life to be able to see how bad it could turn out.  I also felt as the thing that set them on this path was not one that gave them no choice.  It became a little disappointing and not up to Mr. Michalides previous 2 books.  I still have it an average rating but it could have easily fallen another star.


Minding Frankie - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Maeve Binchy


A good family drama.   There are a lot of characters and at times, I had to refresh my memory on who was who.  I liked getting to know each of them, watching the changes in them and living life in Dublin for a while.  I did find the ending a little unsatisfying.  I would have liked to have more closure with one of the characters.   But for the most part the ending was fitting and I’d like to read more about Frankie, Noel and Emily.  As Ms Binchy passed away just a few years after this book was published, I’ll just have to let them live their lives in my imagination.


The Child - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Fiona Barton


A good psychological thriller.  The pace matched the story and while at first I was trying to understand the connections of the people, I started just letting the story unfold.  I have decided that I wouldn’t be a good detective.   I knew in the back of my mind there was more there and even knew what to focus on.  However, for a while I had tunnel vision and couldn’t expand my view.  I did figure it out before it was completely obvious.  The ending, while not tying up all the loose ends, was perfect to me.  It left me satisfied and fit the personalities of the people involved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”