Skip to main content

September was just an ok month for me as far as reading goes.  I only read 7 books.  2 of those books were better than average, 3 were average and 3 below average.   My favorite was "A Slow Fire Burning."   

I usually hit a little slump sometime during the year.   I'm not sure if it will pick up in October, but so far it is a good start.    I hope your September was better than mine and that you have happy reading ahead!



Adrian McKinty

A letter chain - but in real life - that involves kidnapping and extortion.  A child is kidnapped and the parent receives a phone call informing them that the "ransom" is for them to pay and to kidnap another child.  In the middle of a health crisis, Rachel finds herself caught in the chain.   Now she must face what she is willing to do in order to save her daughter.   

This plot sounded so promising.   I expected it to be a "sitting on the edge of my seat" book, but I never came close to that.   First off, I did not care for the writing style.   It was disjointed is the best way I know to describe it.  The first part of the book held my interest, but when it got to the apex of the story, I found myself scanning more than reading.   By then, I just really didn't care.  If I hadn't had such high expectations, I may have rated it a little higher.  

⭐⭐ 


Hendrik Groen, Hester Vlemans (Translator)

What starts out as a joke ends up with Hendrik and Evert caught up in a "if it can go wrong, it will" situation.   Evert, not really thinking or knowing why,  takes a baby for a stroll to Hendrik's apartment.  By the time he gets there, the police are involved and there's a search for the kidnapper.   Surrounded by a nosey neighbor, bumbling police and a not so innocent school janitor, the seventy something year old men are trying to outsmart them all and get the baby back to her parents.

This is an easy, light entertaining read.   You know going into the story that there will be nothing earth shattering.   It's just a fun read and it's best to sit back and go along with the flow.  It was exactly what I expected it to be.

⭐⭐⭐⭐


Susan Wiggs

Two worlds collide when a horrible farming accident occurs on an Amish farm.  Caleb, who is the uncle and guardian of the injured boy, Jonah, makes the decision to have Jonah airlifted for treatment.   This leads to exposure to a different world that includes Dr. Reese Powell.  Caleb and Dr. Powell are both questioning some of the decisions they have made and are making.  This encounter and friendship leads them both to evaluate things and try to discover their true path in life.

I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book because I was expecting a different story based on the official synopsis plus on the book jacket the question "How far would you go to keep a secret?"   I did not find the story to go along with either ideas.  If you are interested in reading this, don't read the synopsis.   Trust my description.  In addition to that, there were some plot holes and the last 100 pages went a little off the rails.   Overall, it was just a little below average for me, but I will round it up. 

⭐⭐⭐ 


Paula Hawkins

Three women with a connection to a man found murdered on his houseboat.  All who, for different reasons, have resentments towards him.  All who have been wronged by him in different ways.  Which one of these women actually took revenge - or was it someone else?

Paula Hawkins first book, The Girl on the Train, was so well written.   Then Into the Water didn't reach that level.   I was a little leery going into this book as far as wondering which one I was going to get.   Thankfully, it was more like her first one.   I got caught up in the story and trying to determine what happened and why.  I did not figure it out until near the reveal.  The story moved along and it tied together nicely.  

⭐⭐⭐⭐    


Caroline Frost

Starting in 1970 and going into the 1990's we follow the life of Kit Walker.   In 1970 we meet Kit as a runaway who is taken in by Manny Romero, a low level criminal who at least at first seems to be a good father figure for her.   As the years pass, the type relationship changes.   Kit finds herself pregnant, with a criminal who has become more unpredictable and she runs away once again.   This time to Pecan Hollow, Texas where she has an aunt.   Twenty years after she ran away and has made a life as a single mother, Manny shows up at her door as a changed man.  Kit must now face her past and decide what her, and her daughter's future, will be.

I am going against popular opinion, in that I did not like this book.   While I might should have expected it, this story was a lot rougher than I thought it would be.   There are a lot of trigger warnings I could give and while I read the entire book there were times I thought about putting it down.   I never got a real handle on Kit and who she really was.   The ending was unrealistic - almost the opposite feel than the rest of the book.   The redeeming quality of the book was the writing.   It was very engaging and what kept me reading.   This just isn't the book for me.  

⭐⭐


Ann B Ross

Miss Julia is a recently widowed, surprisingly wealthy woman.   She is still in mourning for her late husband when there is a knock on her door that changes her life.   Standing there is Hazel Marie Puckett with a young man who is the son of Miss Julia's late husband.  Suddenly Miss Julia has to deal with this child, who Hazel Marie leaves in her care.  Instead of trying to protect her late husband's reputation, Miss Julia decides to parade this child out there and let the community think what they want.   Little does she know she's headed into the middle of more unsavory things - bank robbery, kidnapping and other events of the same vein.

This is a light, fun book.  Once again nothing earth shattering or much to think about.   Just entertaining.   I will note that some may find it amazing how sheltered Miss Julia was when her husband was alive.   Just remember when it was written and the time era the story takes place.   Honestly, I'm not so sure people today would be shocked about this son with a mistress and that's not a good thing.   

This was my September 12 Books in 12 Months Challenge book.   It was recommended by my friend, Chris Meek and I did enjoy it.

⭐⭐⭐


Tina Santi Flaherty

This book's description is in the the title.  It is about Jacqueline Kennedy and each chapter covers a different trait that we can see she possessed and what we should learn from it.

I was underwhelmed by this book.   It was often repetitive.   It is a short book - 203 pages but could have been 50 - 75% shorter.   Ms Flaherty never met Jackie so any traits discussed are just from history and an outsiders perspective.   In fact there were one or two events that some of us didn't admire how she handled them.

This was our Book Club pick for September.   I think overall we all felt the same.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

2017 Books Read - September

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens I enjoyed this book.   It was a little far fetched at times - I mean how many times can you survive surprise attacks and a kidnapping?! The main character, Joe Talbert, is in college given an assignment to interview a stranger and write about their life.   He ends up in a nursing home interviewing a Viet Nam vet who had been convicted of murder.   Joe becomes drawn in by the vet and decides to figure out what is truth and what isn't.  A well told story that had more than one character that re-enforces the idea of how easy it is to judge when you don't know a person and what life has brought their way.   Nowhere is a Place by Bernice McFadden This is a good story, but I didn't like the way it was told.   It switches some between modern day and back through the years to tell the story of a family.   Their life through the generations was anything but flowers and rainbows.  It's hard to read about some of the situations and