Skip to main content

April 2022


I read 10 books in April.   It wasn't my best month as far as books go, but it wasn't a bad one either.  I only had one 5 star book - "The Heavens May Fall" by Allen Eskens.   A reminder to myself to check out those backlisted books.   They are often the ones I like over the new releases.   

This month was one in which I decided I have a "it's not you, it's me" category of books.   Those are books that while I didn't connect with them, I can understand why others would.  There were around 3 or 4 of those books out of the 10 I read.    For the most part though, all of the books were average or above in my eyes, so another good month.


The Nurses Secret - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Amanda Skenandore

Historical fiction set in the 1880's when the Bellevue School of Nursing was new.   Una finds herself as a student at the school, not because of a great calling to be a nurse, but as a refuge from prison.   Just as Una begins to set into being a nurse, and a good one at that, her suspicions about a patients death puts her in harms way.

I enjoyed this book.   It is well written with good character development.   You get to know Una and can understand choices she makes.   I found myself rooting for her.  Ms Skenandore did a great job of giving information about the nursing program without it coming across reading like a textbook or encyclopedia.   There is definitely a contrast between how medicine was in the late 1800's compared to modern day.  That was interesting reading too.

There is a mystery as to some deaths.   The mystery though is not the main story.   It is always there in the background and is part of Una's story, but it is not the prominent subject through most of the book.   

I was given a copy of this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.   


Infinite Country - ⭐⭐⭐
Patricia Engel

This is an immigrant story.   Elena and Mauro travel to America from Colombia seeking a better life.   Through the years there are children born in America and they must make a decision whether to return to Colombia as they should by law or to remain in America as illegal immigrants.  When the decision is made for Mauro as is deported, they must then decide whether to all return to Colombia or split up the family physically for the promise of something better.

I wanted more from this book than I got.   This is an emotional family story, yet I did not feel that emotion.   When I finished the book, I was not that invested in the family.   I reflected on the subject and the story and realized that there was something about the writing style that I just did not connect with.   When I think about the story, I am surprised I wasn't an emotional wreck.   Instead of emotion, I was more analytical about it.   I never got pulled in completely, but felt more like an outsider trying to decide what the answer should be and dissection decisions made and why they were made.


The Heavens May Fall - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Allen Eskens

A murder mystery. Detective Max Rupert and Lawyer Boady Sanden are friends who become pitted against each other in court and subsequently in life.   Boady is hired to represent a former law partner and friend who has been charged with his wife's murder.   Max is the lead detective on the case and Boady is convinced that for personal reasons, Max has focused solely on Boady as the killer.   Told from two perspectives, the mystery is not solved until the end.  

This was my only 5 Star book in April.   This story is full of emotion, character and plot,   It is the perfect blend of each.  The mystery kept me guessing all the way through.   I would think I had the answer, but then would question myself and veer off on another path.   In the end, I should have trusted my instincts as they proved to be right.   I really enjoyed getting to know Boady and Max both a little more than I had from prior books.  

There must be something about Minnesota writers, as I know I can rely on Allen Eskens and William Kent Krueger to deliver.   Mr. Eskens has a quiet style of writing that just pulls me along with the story.  I have now read 4 of his books and have rated 2 of them 4 Stars and 2 of them 5.   Never disappointed.


Lauren Weisberger

A fiction story that would be a good beach read.  Peyton is the early morning anchor for a popular news show.   Her daughter, Max, is graduating and heading off to Princeton, until the scandal breaks that the reason she was accepted was due to a bribe.  As Peyton's husband is charged with a crime, Peyton is relieved of her duties at the news desk.   Peyton and Max seek refuge with Peyton's more "normal" sister, Skye, as the family sorts things out to determine where to go from here.

I picked this book up at the library strictly because of the title.   Admit it - you are singing the title every time you read it.   This was a light, easy read.   It held my interest about half way through.   It then started wearing a little thin and I had to push through at times.  

I was a little disappointed in that based on the title I expected music/songs to be a theme.  They aren't and in fact, I'm not exactly sure where the title fits the story.   


The Book of Cold Cases - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Simone St James

A suspense thriller with the paranormal thrown in.  Shea Collins is a receptionist by day and a true crine podcaster at night.  One day Beth Greer comes into the doctors office where Shea works.  Shea is excited to meet her as Beth Greer is tied to the 1977 Lady Killer Murders.   Shea asks the reclusive Beth if she can interview her and surprisingly, Beth agrees.  They begin to meet regularly at Beth's mansion.  While Shea is excited to be involved in what may end up solving this crime, at the same time she feels herself getting pulled into something that just doesn't seem right.   She begins seeing things that have no explanation and questions whether she is getting into something that she wants no part of.

I do not generally read or like ghost stories,   This is the second one that I have read by Simone St James, and I have liked them both.  She combines the perfect blend of the natural world with the paranormal.   In the natural world she takes us on a psychological journey that makes you question the paranormal.   She keeps me engaged and even if I roll my skeptical eyes from time to time, I accept the story she is telling.   I'm never sure where Ms St James is taking me but I go along on the journey and have not been disappointed.

I first heard of this book on the Currently Reading Podcast .  Thanks to my sister,  Jackie Roberts, for passing this book on to me.


Taylor Jenkins Reid

Historical Fiction about a movie icon looking back on her life.   Evelyn Hugo is ready to tell all about her private life.  Evelyn was a movie icon from the 1950's - 1980's.   She summons Monique Grant, a newbie and little known reporter, to write her life story.  Monique is excited to use this opportunity to launch her career, but nobody knows why she is the chosen one.

I was looking forward to reading this book.   Taylor Jenkins Reid is a popular author and this book is all over the place touted as a great read.   I did not like this book though.   There were several reasons, the main one being that I did not care for the writing style.  I never felt pulled into the story.  I knew where it was headed early on and had pretty much figured out the big surprise at the end.   Not in detail, but I knew what the main reveal was going to be.  

I am very much a reader who wants to like or at least respect and understand the characters.   I did not like any of the characters except Harry.   He was the one that I would have liked to know in real life.  He was the kindest person in the book.  I never cared for Evelyn.   And I had little sympathy for her.  Not a good combination.  

One of the other reasons I didn't like the book was it's view of marriage.  I will admit that I knew what I was getting into based on the title, but I expected a little more marriages that weren't shams.   I know that this story could be reality, but out of 7 marriages you would think there would be more than 1 that was for love.

This was one of my books for the 12 Books in 12 Months Challenge.   Thanks to Cheryl Chase for suggesting it.   As I said, I had this on my radar and was excited to read it.  This was one of my "it's not you, it's me" books.


Richard Osman

A murder mystery set in a peaceful retirement village.   Well, peaceful until a murder is committed on the property.   That murder followed one that was committed off property, but of a local developer with ties to the village.  Four unlikely friends that live in the village join together with the detectives working on the cases to solve the mystery.

I enjoyed this book but wasn't "wowed" by it.   It is another one that I have seen a lot as a great read so maybe I was expecting too much.  I did like getting to know the people at the retirement village, but I would have liked a few more layers revealed.  I didn't get caught up in the mystery, but just kind of rode along with the story.  When I finished the book, I felt like instead of reading a complete book, I had read an introduction for another story.   Just left wanting to have gotten a little more out of it.

This is another book that I originally heard about on the Currently Reading Podcast.  Thanks to Vicki Doyle for passing this book on to me.


The First Mistake - ⭐⭐⭐1/2
Sandie Jones

A domestic thriller about a woman, her second husband and her best friend.   Alice is in a good second marriage with Nathan, but he can never replace her first husband.  Through her ups and downs, Alice's friend, Beth has been there for her.   When Nathan starts acting differently Alice turns to Beth.   Things take a turn though as Alice discovers that Beth may not be the person she can trust and things are getting worse with Nathan.

I was pulled into this book and it was a quick read for me.  For a while I thought it may be my second 5 star book of the month,   But the plot twists came and the value kept decreasing until at the end it was just an average read for me.  I don't want to give any spoilers so I'm not going to say anymore about the book. 

A Flicker in the Dark - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Stacy Willingham

A psychological thriller based in Baton Rouge and Breaux Bridge.  When Chloe Davis was 12 years old, six teenage girls went missing in her hometown of Breaux Bridge.  Her own father confessed to the crimes and was sent to Angola.  Twenty years later, Chloe is living in Baton Rouge, practicing as a psychologist and getting ready for her wedding to the man that helps her cope with the issues raised being a serial killers daughter.  When a copy cat killer appears to be operating in Baton Rouge, Chloe is sent into a spiral of emotions and questions of who she can trust.

This is a great psychological thriller.   It is a debut and is so well written.  I was on a roller coaster following the unreliable narration by Chloe.  I didn't know what I could believe as true and what was her imagination,  I slowly figured things out, but it did take me a while before I settled on it.  I liked the ending, even though it's one that I'm not sure everyone would like.  Overall this was a really good book.  There were just a few things here and there that kept it from being that 5 star read.

I don't know if the setting influenced how I felt about this book or not.  I think in a lot of ways it was a pretty generic setting.  There was one thing that bothered me as far as setting. In one part Chloe is driving from Breaux Bridge to Baton Rouge.   It mentions the yellow line on the highway and the sign to turn for Angola.   You would be on the interstate, not a highway unless you were driving way out of your way.  Most people wouldn't know that but anyone from this area would.  A simple check of the map would tell you that.

Another book that was passed on to me by my sister, Jackie Roberts.

 
Marie Benedict

Historical fiction about J.P. Morgan's personal librarian, Belle da Costa Greene.  Belle was a black woman who passed as white.  She became the librarian, buyer, and part of high society.  Through it all she had to be careful that her true identity was not discovered as she would lose her job, expose her family and lose any gains they had made.

This is the third book I've read by Marie Benedict and I think I need to face the fact that her writing style is not one that I connect with.  Her characters are interesting people.   I've read her books about Einsteins wife and Hedy Lamarr.  In all three books, I felt at times as if I were reading an encyclopedia instead of a story.  I do learn a lot about the time and the people, but at times just as it got into a good flow, there would be a paragraph that explained things.   I would rather it be showed to me some other way.  

I did find this book to be interesting as far as the setting and story.   Just a little too dry at times.  Plus I have a hard time with historical fiction when it comes to some of the more personal parts.   In the back of my mind, I keep questioning if it really happened.   Bottom line, I have to remember it is historical FICTION.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i