Skip to main content

September 2021 - Books Read


September was a great month reading wise.   I finished 10 books and only had one stinker.   The rest were all average of above.  

This month also found me going to the library.   I haven't been in a while and it was nice to browse the stacks and bring a few home.   Two of the books I read this month were from that pile, plus one E-book I checked out too.


I hope you all had as good a month reading as I did.   If not, perhaps you could check out one of these - 

Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahren

Joyce Conway remembers things she shouldn't.   She knows languages she never studied and has become an expert in architecture and art.   She has dreams of an unknown little blonde headed girl.    Joyce marriage is falling apart.  It comes to an end after she takes a terrible fall.  After her hospital stay she moves in with her dad and that's when the memories and knowledge begin.  Justin Hitchcock meanwhile is a visiting lecturer at the local college on art .  He's divorced but still in his daughters life.  While at the college Justin is convinced by an attractive doctor to donate blood.   Is this the source of Joyce's memories?   

I read "Love, Rosie" by this author in 2007 and I liked it.   I haven't read any more of her books since then until this one caught my eye.   The book is written in a style that makes it easy to read.   It hits the spot I like here there is good character development but also a plot that moves the story along.   My hang-up with this book though was the plot.   I just had a hard time with the sudden memories and changes in Joyce being because of a blood transfusion.   I would occasionally remind myself that I knew that was the premise going in and I would then suspend my footing in reality and go with it.   When I could do that, it was a nice, light romantic story.   So if you can get past the main premise and like light reads this would be a good book for you.  


The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Queen Elizabeth is holding Mary Queen of Scots aka the other queen, captive in an attempt to hold on to her throne.   Mary is the "guest" of George Talbot and his wife Bess of Hardwick.   Over the years serving Queen Elizabeth is such a way threatens the Talbot's in more ways than one.   Financial, emotional and even to the brink of treason are all ways that Mary inserts herself in their life.  

I trudged through this book.   It was such a disappointment in that I expected so much more.   I have read at least 10 of Philippa Gregory's books - mainly her Plantagenet and Tudor series.   Most of those I have enjoyed.  This one not so much.   It was repetitive and long.   The characters were all very one dimensional (which may have been how they were in real life, but boring in a book).   This book did not bring me joy - it just never struck the right note.   


The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave

Before Owen Michaels disappears, he smuggles a note to his wife that only states "Protect her".  His wife, Hannah, knows that Owen is referring to her step-daughter, Bailey.  Despite Hannah trying, Bailey and her do not have that smooth of a relationship, but Hannah is determined to honor this request.    Hannah cannot get in touch with Owen, she's getting visits from the FBI and Federal Marshall, arrests of Owen's boss and others plus money that Owen was able to leave with Bailey before disappearing draw Hannah into trying to solve the mystery.   Hannah starts to question what she knows about Owen, his past and the present.   As she pieces it together it takes Hannah and Bailey both to new places they could not have anticipated.

Laura Dave does an excellent job of telling the story bit by bit.   There are little hints that come out as Hannah remembers things.   It is an engaging story that had me caring about what was going to happen to Hannah and Bailey.   I liked Hannah's take charge personality that also felt conflicted at times.  A relatable person.   Well written, well developed a good balance of character and plot.   


We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker

Set in a coastal California town, a story of family.  Those we are born into and the ones we create.   Walk grew up in Cape Haven where he is the chief of police.   Years ago he gave the testimony that sent his best friend to prison.   Now, 30 years later, his friend, Vincent is being released.   Star grew up with Walk and Vincent.   She has 2 kids, Duchess, a 13 year old self proclaimed outlaw and Robin, a 5 year old.   Star is a single mother whose kids who do not know who their dad(s) is.   Walk has been there to try to help, but Star keeps sliding farther into self-destruction.  As a result, Duchess is more the mother to Robin than Star.  Set against these dynamics, Vincent returns.  Trouble continues and Duchess and Robin find their life upended.   While Walk is working out details and struggling to find the truth, Duchess is miles away doing the same.   The conclusions they both reach and the truths lead them both to certain paths.  A story of the human spirit, how we endure and how in the end, in different shapes and forms, love wins.  

This is a story that will stay with you.   It is a story of family, loss, guilt, grudges, restitution and a sort of redemption.   It is a good combination of character and plot driven.   Duchess is a wonderful character.   I can picture her as a real person and fell in love with that young girl.   She is so full of spunk and is really a kind person.   There's a lot thrown at Duchess and Robin, but through it all she survives.  I was also surprised by some of the twists it took, but not in an unbelievable way.   That is always a mark of a good story to me.  

This is not a "feel good" book but it is a hopeful book.   It has a depressing, sad tone but I became totally invested in the people and the story.   I started reading this several months ago amid a lot of hype for the book.   I could not get into the book and put it aside.   Then I heard the admonition on one of the podcasts I listen to (Currently Reading) to stick with the book if you were having a hard time with the beginning.   My sister offered this book to me, and I told her that I had tried it and set it aside and she gave me the same advice, to stick with it.   I'm thankful I did.   


Eternal by Lisa Scottoline

There are so many books centered around World War II.   This one is worth picking up even if you have WWII Historical Fiction fatigue.   The setting in Italy and the events that  occurred there are interesting and sad.   It is centered around the lives of best friends, Elisabetta, Marco and Sandro.   They live in Rome and have grown up together.   They are now teenagers so there is the inevitable love triangle that develops which is a theme throughout the book.   To complicate things farther, there are the private and family lives of each one.  They all have strong family ties even though they are different for each of them.   Add the beginning of Italy's involvement in World War II, and you have another layer of issues to deal with.   All a lot for adults, and even more for young people who are developing and maturing.   Each one of the friends is  facing different challenges.  Elisabetta with her home life, Marco with finding his place and beliefs and Sandro being an Italian Jew in this time of history.  The story also is about other people in their life and is told in a way that you understand the actions of each.

I thought that I had read some of Lisa Scottoline's books but this was my first.   It was a good one to start with as I am impressed with her story telling.   Elisabetta, Marco and Sandro are the kind of friends you would want in your life.   You definitely become invested in the life of each of them.   Ms Scottoline develops their personalities and the many dimensions of each.   They are not shallow teenagers, but are dealing with life and the problems around them in maturing ways.   The horrors of the time are not hidden, but are presented as faced by normal people.   It's a sad story at times but also a story of hope.

This is not a short book, but it is a fast read.   It is easy to find stopping points because each chapter is fairly short.   I know sometimes with a larger book that is important as life calls and I don't have the tine to sit and read for a long period,   

This was our book club pick for the month.  I would recommend it for other book clubs as I'm sure it will lead to a great discussion.  

 Lisa Scottoline wove a story that will stay with me.   It is ultimately a story of family, friends, politics, evil, good and most of all love.    


State of Fear by Michael Crichton

What is really the truth and what are we being told to exercise control?   This is the main theme of State of Fear.  The story involves radical believers in climate change and the actions they will take to indoctrinate the masses.   They easiest way to do it is through fear.  As in any good battle, there are those who are on the other side.   Who discover for themselves what is true and are willing to stand up for those beliefs.   This book blends science and fiction and creates a thought provoking thriller.   

This book was published in 2004, but is still relevant.  While it is centered around the powers that be using climate control to control the masses, you could substitute many things including the current pandemic.   It seems there is always something to push and climate change is still one of the top issues used but it isn't the only one.  The greed of those involved enters the picture also.    Mr. Crichton did his research on the topic and at times the book gets a little preachy.  But the main point is still made.  Overall it will make you think about how news and those in power can push an agenda to a point that intelligent people cease to think for themselves and fall into a state of fear.   

The bottom line is we all have a responsibility to research things for ourselves and make as much of a non-emotional decision we can about how to live our life.   And as a Christian, I pray for wisdom and to always remember that "....God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power, and love and self-control."  2 Timothy 1:7

Don't let the length of this book keep you away.   It will keep you engaged.  When I was counting pages, it was to determine if I had time for one more chapter, not how many more pages in the book.   That's always a good sign.  

Thanks to my friend Vicki for recommending and loaning me this book.


Past the Bleachers by Chris Bohjalian

This story is told by Bill Harper.   Bill and his wife, Harper, have lost their only son, Nathaniel, at age 10 to acute lymphocytic leukemia.  To deal with his grief, Bill volunteers to coach the Little League team that his son would have played on.   Coaching the team leads to Bill meeting Lucky Diamond, a mute gifted ball player with a mysterious life.   Bill begins to question many things about Lucky - where did he come from?  Why has he never met his dad?   And even if Lucky has supernatural powers.    

Chris Bohjalian is one of my favorite authors.  He is a must read for me and I have read 18 of his books.   This is the third book he wrote.   His first 3 are no longer in publication but I was able to check this out from our local library.   I have had it on my wish list for a while, so I'm glad to have finally picked it up.

Any book that features baseball is going to draw my attention.  This book weaves baseball, loss, prejudices, kindness, bullying, healing, politics and inner peace all together.   It is a good story and I felt connected to the town and the people.   However it did not have the layers and depth that I have become accustom to in a Chris Bohjalian book.   There were some plot holes and a few things that I felt were not resolved.  While the writing is not as developed as it is in his later books, it still is decent.  

I'm glad I found this book and finally moved it from the wish list to the read list.  


Sulfer Springs by William Kent Krueger

On the fourth of July, Cork's new bride, Rainy Bisonette, receives a mysterious voicemail from her son, Peter, who is in Arizona.   The message is static filled and they can barely hear it, but from it they pick up that he may have murdered a man name Rodriguez.   When Rainy returns his call, she cannot get an answer.   Cork and Rainy fly to Arizona the next day.  This is different country then they are accustom to - the southern instead of the northern border.   But they are determined to overcome the country and the people who are at work against them to find Peter and solve the mystery of the voicemail.

This Cork book finds him in a different landscape, but you have the same man.   He is going to fight for right and family.  Cork is a man who gives completely of himself in whatever situation he finds himself in.  I felt in this book we get even more of a glimpse into Cork as a man, what he thinks, feels and even some of his insecurities.  It was nice to see that side.   And of course we know that Cork is always going to find himself in some tight situations, but come through having learned something about life.

With this being a "newer" book in the series (published in August 2017), there are some current issues that are covered.   I appreciate the way that Mr. Krueger shows how people can see all sides of these issues - the black, white and gray.   I felt as if his view about them came through, but at the same time it was not a "hit you over the head" book.   

I only have 2 more books in the series until I will find myself waiting for the one release each year.   I am not looking forward to that, but as long as they remain to be the excellent stories they are, I will accept it.  


Pain Killer by Barry Meier

The subtitle of this book is "A "Wonder" Drugs Tale of Addiction and Death" and that is a good summation,   Mr. Meier looks at the potent painkiller, Oxycontin and how it went from being sold as a drug for cancer patients and those chronic pain sufferers who have not found relief in other medications/treatments to being a mainstream painkiller.   He takes us through the development of this opium derived medication, the aggressive marketing, it's special patent and classification of a drug that is less likely to lead to abuse to it actually becoming one of the most abused drugs in our country and the people who try to bring attention to the problem.   

This is both an interesting and a sad book.   Mr. Meier does a great job of researching and presenting the facts about Oxycontin.  It is interesting reading about the push/pull between those in the field and those in the drug production business.  Reading how the sales reps work, the conferences that the drug companies are so involved in, the way a company will rebrand a drug so they can get a new patent and just how hard it is to question some of the claims and methods of the companies was interesting.  The role that the FDA and other federal government agencies play was also of interest.   

This is another back list book, published in 2018, but it is still relevant today. This could have been a very dry, statistic filled book but Mr. Meier kept it interesting and easy to understand.  He also was fair pointing out that while this is a drug that is abused and addictive, it can also be a good drug for certain patients.

As a side note - I have personally seen the affects of a drug company rebranding a drug so that they can have a new patent and make more money.   About a year ago I was prescribed an antibiotic that was old as dirt for an eye infection.   When I went to pick it up I was told it was going to be $400 out of pocket because the milligrams prescribed only came in a "new" form of a capsule.  Luckily my doctor was able to rewrite the script so I got the same medication but the older form.  Just a little anecdotal story that relates to a small part of this story.


Dear Emmie Blue by Lia Louis

When Emmie Blue is 16 years old she releases a red balloon that contains the biggest secret of her life.   To her surprise it is found by Lucas Moreau and they begin a friendship that lasts through the years.  This friendship develops through emails and visits between their homes in the UK and France.   14 years later, Lucas asks Emmie to be his Best Woman at his wedding.  Little does he know that Emmie has romantic interests in Lucas and the conflict she feels in this role.    

I ended the month of September with this light romance.  I sometimes feel I am a little unfair to this type of book.   I do enjoy them and need to read this type story from time to time.   At the same time I have a few problems when I do read them.   First, most of the characters are the age of my kids.   I have to remind myself of that as I read some of the dialogue and the choices they make.   The other problem is that they are usually pretty predictable and mainly follow the same pattern.   It's like there's a For Dummies book "Writing Light Romance Novels" that all authors are required to read before writing one.  So, I try to set aside  my prejudice and just read it for what it is.

Emmie Blue was easy to get into and I was able to enjoy getting to know all of the people.  It is a predictable story for the most part.  There were a few twists, but I wouldn't say they were surprising.  It is a well written story and an easy read.   This book that reminded me a little of the older movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" except I enjoyed this book more.  It was a great book to read as a palate cleanser of sorts after reading a non-fiction book about drug abuse.  

This is a book that I heard about on the Currently Reading podcast that I mentioned above.   I do have several books that I have added to my Wish List based on their recommendations.   If you like podcasts and books, take some time to check this one out.  


  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i