Skip to main content

July 2021 Books Read

July brought 10 physical books read and 3 audio books listened to into my life.   Overall it was a really good month.  It was top heavy with 4 and 5 star books - 8 in all.   Of the remaining 5, 3 were 3 stars which is still good in my eyes.  I had 2 sinking to 2 stars, "Bonnie" and "Fourth of July Creek".  It's not the books were stinkers, they just weren't for me.  Picking a top of the top is a hard call but I'd have to say "Every Now and Then".  There was something about that story that grabbed me in.   Overall though there's not a one that I would say "Don't waste your time."  

I do have a question for you - Do you listen to audio books?   I know it can be a "hot topic" as to whether that is considered reading or not.   I personally don't say that I read it, because in my mind, I wasn't the reader.   But I don't care if others use that term.   I find value in listening to a story.   That's why we read to our kids.   I've also seen studies that show listening to a book and physically reading a book engage the same senses and brain areas in the same level.   Just curious as to my fellow readers thoughts. 

And now on to my short synopsis and impressions of each - 


The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty

Sophie Honeywell is a close to 40, never been married woman who longs to be a mother.   She came close to marriage once, with Thomas Gordon, but broke it off when she realized that he was not the one.  Thomas married a year later and has a new baby, while Sophie is still single.   Thomas is back in her life when his aunt Connie, who Sophie barely knew, dies and unexpectedly leaves her house on Scribbly Gum Island to Sophie!   The island is inhabited by members of the same family but they welcome Sophie and accept her as part of the family.   A family, that like the island itself, has secrets.  The main one being the mystery of the Munro baby and what happened to her parents, Alice and Jack, many years ago.  

This is a book that is really not so much about the mystery, but about a family.  Sophie finds herself in the midst of dysfunction right and left, but also a family that loves each other.  Liane Moriarty has a wonderful way of making people come to life.   I could picture Sophie, the pretty only child who while wasn't really spoiled, just seemed to have most things in life go her way.   People seemed to want to please her.  The families of Scribbly Gum Island were all "real" people with all the issues that people have.   I loved getting to know them all, even though I didn't agree with all of their choices.   The mystery of the Munro baby is fairly easy to figure out.   But at the end there is a little twist to the story that I didn't see coming.  That's one of the things I like about Liane Moriarty books.   They are fairly light, entertaining reads about believable people.   Even when it's a little on the unbelievable side.   


Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson

The synopsis for this book reads as if it is about Pete, a social worker in a remote part of Montana, a young boy, Ben, and his survivalist father, Jeremiah.  I feel the synopsis is misleading.  The bulk of the story is about Pete - how he deals with his clients while also dealing with a personal family struggle of being separated from his family, a teenage run away daughter, a drinking problem, bad relationship with his father, a brother who has skipped parole and his personal relationships.   Let's just say Pete is one messed up person.

I can not decide if I liked this book or not.   The parts of Pete dealing with the survivalist family and the background to their story was really interesting to me.   That part of the story kept me fully engaged.  The rest of the book, was really just a depressing mess.   Of course that's the type lives you deal with when you are a social worker.  It's not a pretty life and there are some parts of the book that are hard to read.   It also paints most social workers as being as messed up or more so as their clients.   There were times I came close to closing the book and DNF'ing it, but I stuck with it.   I'm glad I did because I got the story of the survivalist family, but overall I have a hard time recommending this one.


The Next Always by Nora Roberts

The Boonsboro Inn endured a lot, but had fallen on hard times - abandoned and left to decay.   The Montgomery family has come to it's rescue with the restoration being done by the three brothers of the family, Beckett, Owen and Ryder.  All three brothers are single.  Beckett has his eye on Claire Brewster, the girl he's wanted to kiss since high school. Clare, with her 3 young sons,  returned back to her home town of Boonsboro after her husband is killed in action.  She has opened up a bookstore and has her family and her best friend to support her emotionally.   She, along with the whole town,  is curious about the renovations being done to the inn, and of course also has her eye on Beckett.  So the push and pull of a romance novel begins.  There's no good romance without conflict or suspense of some kind.   In this case the main source is Sam Freemont, a rich full of himself man who always gets his way and also has his eyes on Claire, and a ghost at the inn - Lizzie.  

This is my first Nora Roberts book.   I did read one of her "J D Robb" books for my book club a couple of years ago.   I can see why her romance stories are popular.   It was a pleasant read and she does a good job in developing the characters.   Their personalities come through.   My only complaint is the villain.  He was a little too over the top for me.  There were definitely parts of his personality that were believable but I felt it was taken just a little too far.   Overall though a good book to read after "Fourth of July Creek."   It met my need for an easy read with an entertaining story.  


Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica

Shelby Tebow is the first to go missing from their quiet suburban neighborhood.  Not long after her disappearance, Meredith Dickey and her 6 year old daughter, Delilah, vanish too.   Eleven years later, Delilah turns up.   Or did she?  And how did she get where she was?  What happened to her and her mother?  The story is told in alternating viewpoints and timelines to piece together what happened to the local women who went missing. 

I enjoyed this book.   It is full of twists and turns.  I got drawn into the story, wanting to find out the resolution.  I questioned a lot of things as I was reading - was it really Delilah?  What actually caused her mom to disappear? Was the Tebow's relationship as bad as it appeared?  There are some plot twists and the writing can be choppy, but it drew me in and I was able to overlook both of those.  Thanks to my sister for sharing this book with me.


Bonnie by Christina Schwarz

This book is just what it says it is - the story of Bonnie Parker.  It is historical fiction that covers Bonnie's life as a young child until her death with Clyde Barrow.  Along the way she makes choices that lead her down the path she walked.  We get to see her as she makes those choices and the effect it has on her family.  

I have been interested in Bonnie and Clyde for years.   I don't know why exactly.   As a younger person it was probably the romantic aspect to it.  Then there's the question of why were they robbing banks - was it for selfish reasons or to help themselves.   The couple being from Texas and striking in a few Arkansas towns and just this part of the country I know was also a part of it.   

As I've grown I'm still interested but more about them and their families as people.   What made them choose that life and how were they able to maintain those family ties while being so well known for their evil deeds.  I thought this book would give me some insight and a more personal side of the story.   I was disappointed.   I felt it read more as a history book than a biography.  Not a bad book, just not the way I would have liked it to be told.



Frick Island is a small island off the coast of Massachusetts.   The inhabitants are mostly fishermen and have lived their entire lives on the island.   There are several things that make this island unique - from the lassiez fare schedule of the ferry, to the island not selling alcohol.  It is famous for it's Frick Island Cake and the annual cakewalk it holds.   Anders Caldwell is a journalist for a small paper who has bigger goals in life.   He is striving to become a popular podcaster, but seems stuck covering things like cakewalks.   Enter Frick Island.   When he is sent there, he comes across Piper, a woman whose husband disappeared at sea, but behaves as if he is still there.   Not only does Piper behave that way, the entire island does.   This unintentionally starts Anders off on a podcast about the invisible husband on Frick Island  - while the island people think the podcast is about climate warming.   Anders doesn't have to worry about being found out, because of the shoddy cell and internet service.....or does he? 

I enjoyed this book.   The people of Frick Island were both quirky and real.  There were several of them I would love to hang out with from time to time.  The grief that Piper went through, and the subsequent invisible husband, and how he appeared was a nice plot development.  There were points that if I were a crier, I would have shed a tear or two and there were many moments when I laughed out loud.   And I did dream about this book and the people in it, so there's that endorsement.  😀

When I read the synopsis, I pictured Piper as a grieving, older widow, but that's not the case - she is a young widow in her 30's who married her high school sweetheart.   That results in a little different story.  But I think a better story.   Anders is the perfect man to discover the secret of the island - the who, what's and whys.  The setting of the island is the perfect place for him to also discover his own secrets.  All in all a great job of character development, plot and setting.  It is a wonderful story of belonging and love - both for other people and the place that makes them who they are.  I highly enjoy this book.

This was my Book Club pick for the month.   If you don't belong to a Book Club, you should!   I have enjoyed not only the books but getting to know the other ladies so much!  We have good food, good discussion and just a fun time.   If you are one of my local friends and are interested in joining me, let me know.

Every Now and Then by Lesley Kagen

Set in the summer of 1960, this is the story of 3 girls, Frankie, Viv and Biz, their town and the mental institution that exists on the edge of town.   Frankie, Vie and Biz are the Tree Musketeers and they spend most of their days together anchored in the treehouse at Biz's house.  The summer of 1960 they establish a "to-do" list for the summer and set out to make it happen.   When there is an escape from the mental institution, plans change a little and danger enters their ideal world.   60 years later, Biz, writes a recollection of that memorable summer.

This was the third Lesley Kagen book I've read and I was not disappointed.   I loved spending the summer of 1960 with The Tree Musketeers.   Their adventures were fun and while there was a horrible understory of what was happening in their small town, it was still a time where kids were free to roam and discover.  It was also a time of racial discrimination that the girls don't fall in line with.  Each of the girls had such distinct personalities but were bonded in friendship in a way that we all hopefully have experienced at one time or another in our life.   

Ms Kagen is another one of those really good storytellers.  She can draw me in and by the end of the book I forget that I didn't actually know her characters.  This book includes an epilogue that is a very nice touch and wrap-up.  Another ***** one!!


The Maidens by Alex Michaelides

Mariana finds herself caught in a mystery of murder when her niece, Zoe, a student at Cambridge, calls her and tells her about the murder of her good friend.  Mariana herself was a student at Cambridge years ago and is now a widowed group therapist.  When Mariana is comforting Zoe she begins to feel compelled to do what she can to help solve the murder. Soon there is another murder.   In the middle of it all appears to be a group of young women, the maidens, who are special students of the brilliant Greek Tragedy professor, Edward Fosca.   What exactly is the connection, how had someone been able to commit the murders without being seen, and where is the evidence she needs?   Surrounded by a cast of professors, detectives, patients and random people Mariana meets she sets out to prove the one thing she is sure of.  That Edward Fosca is a murderer. 

I had seen this book all over the place as being recommended but I was holding back.  A book about Greek Tragedy from the view of an Cambridge professor just did not interest me.   My sister though was my guiding light and she clarified that while that is part of the story, it is not THE story.  It is part of the plot and what is happening, but more as a setting than the plot itself,   I'm glad she passed it on to me.

I knew from it being written by the same author as "The Silent Patient" that it would be a well written story.  (You can read my thoughts on that one at my May 2019 post on this blog.)   I also knew that there would be a twist to the story.   Knowing that, I still was not able to figure it all out.   I don't think I'd be a very good detective.  I was on the right path, but just didn't quite complete the journey until it was revealed to me.    


This is another book that the synopsis is in the title.   This is a daily - or mostly daily - diary of Hendrik Groen.   He is 83 1/4 years old and decides to record something each day for the next year.   Hendrik lives in a retirement home of sorts in Amsterdam and uses his diary to reflect on a variety of topics and events.

It took me a few days of the diary before the flow of this story came to me.   Once it did though, I enjoyed it tremendously.   This is another book where I became invested in the people and especially their life in this home in Amsterdam.   It is written in a style where I had to remind myself that Henrik Goen is not real.  I loved getting to know Henry and watching him at 83 1/4 years old mature and change.   The friendships and the obstacles - both physically, emotionally and socially are all relatable.  I found myself thinking that I should take notes of the activities of the Old-But-Not-Dead Club as some of them sounded like a lot of fun.   

As with real life there were happy, laugh out loud moments and observations and also some sad, bring a tear to your eyes one.   Overall it was a pleasure to have seen a glimpse into Hendrik's life for a year.   I am looking forward to reading "On the Bright Side" his diary during his 85th year and also "Two Old Men and a Baby" - a story set about 9 years before his one.   

An interesting side note is that on Goodreads someone asked the question if those over 65 would enjoy this book,  The one who asked was 65 and she did not find it funny at all.  While I was reading it, I wondered if someone younger would enjoy it since it is so much about aging.   The responses showed that all ages had those who enjoyed it with readers from their 30's - early 70's responding.   As for me and my 65 year old self, I would recommend it!  


Windigo Island by William Kent Krueger

Cork O'Connor is caught in the middle of a sex trafficking ring when he is hired to find a 15 year old girl who went missing at the same time as her friend whose body has just floated up on Windigo Island.  Mairah showed all indications of running away from home when she disappeared, but questions remain as to where she went, with whom and why.   Mariah is a relative of Henry Meloux so Cork feels an extra weight of helping this family out.   With the help of others, including his daughter Jenny, Cork sets out on an adventure to confront the Windigo, find Mariah and bring her home.

Reading this book I felt like I was back on track with Cork.   My Cork book last month was a disappointment to me, too predictable and easily figured out.   With Windigo Island, I was able to figure out a few things and Cork and his family were the same people I have come to know, it was just a more satisfying story.   It was a nice change to hear Jenny's view for part of the book and to have her along with her dad.   The subject covered is not an easy one, is real, and even though the book was published in 2014, it is still timely 7 years later.   If you have not discovered the storytelling genius of William Kent Krueger, please pick up one of his books today.   I think you will be glad you did.  

AUDIO BOOKS

 The Office: The Untold Story... by Andy Greene

My first book of July was actually finishing up an audio book that I had started in early June.   This is an oral history of The Office.   The book is made up of comments from cast, writers crew, etc,   Almost anyone who had a part in this sitcom.   It is the behind the scenes story and is a combination of some of the key episodes plus just some general information about the show - how it was developed, the obstacles and successes and what brought it to an end.  

Being a fan of the sitcom, this was an interesting story.   I enjoyed hearing the backstory to the episodes and how so many of the events in the script were inspired by true life experiences.  They tell how the cast was assembled and you get a sneak into the boring life of being on set as basically a prop in several scenes.  Just sit there and act like you are a Dunder Mifflin employee at work.  


Listening to the audio book of this worked for me as I mainly use that media for gym time, cleaning house, etc.   I don't sit and listen to an audio book so I try to pick out books that don't have a continuous plot.   I need one that I can let sit for a while and come back to the next day or two.  I would have enjoyed this book a little more if I had read it I think.   While it did a good job of informing who was making the statement, it was distracting to me to hear "Steve Carell" and then it not be his voice.   And of course some of the readers read many parts.   All in all though if you are a fan of The Office, you would enjoy this quick easy read.  I found myself laughing out loud at times just thinking about the episodes being discussed.   


Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

Matthew McConaughey's memoir/life story/life philosophy.   You get a little of it all here.  The title comes from his belief that we all have greenlights and redlights in our life.   Redlights can often be greenlights in disguise.   We need to always be aware of the choices we make when we come upon one.

I have another mixed review on this one.   I listened to his book mainly because it is read by Matthew McConaugley himself.   In this case I think it played both ways for me though.   While it was interesting actually hearing his voice read his words, it was also a little distracting.   The stories of his "day to day" life both growing up and as an adult were more interesting hearing him tell them.   The "bumper sticker" moments and deep philosophical parts though were a little hard to digest,   Not that I think Matthew McConaughey is shallow or not smart.  He is definitely both.   He has a lot of good ideas and philosophies that would help a lot of us to remember,   But in my little mind, I had a hard time actually hearing him saying them.   I think I've seen too many of his RomComs.   Reading it would have been better to me for those sections.  

All that aside, it is an interesting book overall.   I laughed at many of his stories as I could picture the events happening as he was telling them.   I am impressed with how dedicated he is to family and while I don't know that I share all of his spiritual beliefs, he is a spiritual man.   He opens himself up in this book to a lot of things that aren't necessarily shining moments in his life, but that's what makes it so good   You come away feeling as if you really know him and could sit down with him and some good Texas Bar-B-Que and feel right at home.


Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis

Another "synopsis in the title" book.  Helen Ellis grew up in Alabama so even though she is planted in New York City, she is a Southern Lady.   This is a collection of short essays about what they means as far as how a southern lady is to behave.   It's often preceded by her mother's words of "Helen Michelle!, you were not raised..." or something similar.   

I think I found this on a Goodreads list of some kind.   I was looking for an easy to listen to book that was not a heavy read.   This fits that bill.   Since it is essays, you can listen to one or more at a time, set it aside for days even and not have to refresh your mind regarding the plot.   Some of the essays I really enjoyed and did laugh out loud.   But there were others that just weren't "my cup of tea" or didn't satisfy me as much.   That's the good thing about an audio book though - it's easy to fast forward.   

All Southern Ladies can relate to at least one of the stories and if you are ready for a light read, you might want to check this one out.   I would rate it as an average read.  

I hope you all had as enjoyable a reading month as I did.   Now on to August!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i