Skip to main content

2019 Books Read - June

June started out good and kind of settled into average.  But that's OK, average is still a good month.   I read 12 books and had one that went into Mount DNF.   My favorite by far was "Boy Swallows Universe"  followed by "She Rides Shotgun".  The rest of my reads, while are rating highly by many, just didn't draw me in as much.   

I am trying to make my reviews more of my impressions of the book and not so much about the book.   If you want more detail about plot, just click the link.   

Happy reading and as always, please feel free to share any books that made it to the top of your list this month. 

Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton

I enjoyed this story of a boy in Australia in a highly dysfunctional family.   The mom and her boyfriend are caught up in the heroin trade, his babysitter and best friend is a convicted murderer and an escapee from prison, his dad drinks too much and his brother has chosen to not speak.  Eli Bell and his brother August though are special, at least that’s what their mom has always told them and as the story develops, you will discover that is the truth.  The story is told through the eyes of Eli, a boy who just wants to be a good man.

The first chapter had me a little unsure, but I was quickly drawn in.   Mr. Dalton has a way of describing situations in such a way that I could really see and feel what was going on.   I felt at times as if I was reading a memoir instead of fiction.   After finishing, I did a little Google searching and discovered that Mr. Dalton estimates 60% of the book is true.   Wow – what a life! 

There are a few things I took from this book.  One, as the escapee, Slim Halliday, says “Do your time before your time does you.”   It’s a pretty deep statement when you think about it, but also pretty simple.  Next, an observation by Eli, “Maybe we’d all be much more effective communicators if we all shut up more.”  And last, love is truly the one thing that can get us through even the worse of situations.


She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper

Polly is an 11 year old girl whose dad, Nate, has been in prison for at least half of her life.   Polly doesn’t know he has been released until he shows up at her school one afternoon and picks her up.   Of course Polly’s mind has many questions – why? Where’s her mom? Where are they going? Where did Nate get the car?  These questions and many others are answered as Polly goes on the adventure of her life. 

There are many flawed people in this story – Nate, who learned from his older brother how to fight and survive, the Aryan Steel gang who put a death warrant out on Nate, his ex and Polly, a sheriff who is corrupt, and many more.   But Nate stands out as a person that is also kind and loving and truly wants to protect his daughter.  

I liked Mr. Harper’s writing style.  It has a calm about it even in the tense moments.   And there are tense moments.  What makes them even more tense is that the situations are so believable within the story.  The characters are well developed, including a wonderful teddy bear that Polly uses to express a lot of her feelings.  It’s as if the reader is riding shotgun through life with Nate and Polly – facing the situations and decisions that they are, watching each of them change, and hoping for it all to turn out happily ever after.   Well written, good story.


The Dream Peddler by Martine Fournier Watson

A traveling salesman story that is just as much about the town where he is staying and peddling his wares as it is about him.   In this case, the wares are potions that will help you dream.   Robert Owens arrives in town the same day that it is discovered Benjamin Dawson has disappeared.  While the town is shocked by his disappearance, it quickly becomes captivated by the magic that Owens is selling.   Who wouldn’t like to go to bed at night and have the dream you want.  And Mr. Owens guarantees satisfaction, so why not take the chance.  Of course getting what you want, isn’t always what you need as some in the town discover.  

It was easy to picture the town and the people in it.   It was back in a day when things were simpler in a lot of ways, yet there were still the same individual struggles from young to old.   The dreams that the different people wanted reflected this.   And the result of those dreams aren’t always what is best.  The underlying question through it all is of course, how does Mr. Owens produce these dreams.   Is it magic?  Chemistry? Suggestion?  I thought different things at different times.  Another debut novel that I enjoyed.

Not really related to the story – but a line that I could relate to – “How easy it was to grow old, she thought, easy as a raft along a river.”


A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny

I returned to Three Pines with the second Gamache mystery.   In this one, an unlikable woman, CC de Poitiers is murdered in plain sight by electrocution.  So the ”what” is answered but the who and why is yet to be solved.   Enter Detective Gamache to the rescue. 
 
I enjoyed the second book more than the first in the series.  I feel as if there were a little more to the story as there wasn’t the need to introduce the town in as much detail.   There were new characters, but also plenty of the old to feel at home.   What I am not a big fan of is how the case is solved.   Not the who done it – I had figured that out earlier, but how Gamache figured it out.   It was like he didn’t even have the person on his radar and then boom – he had the answer.   I also have a hard time with the method of death – very hard to believe that it could have happened the way described.   Now that I know what to expect with this series, I will read the next one.


The 15:17 to Paris by Anthony Sadler

Three ordinary men who became heroes when they stopped the terrorist on the 15-17 train bound to Paris.  The story was all over the news – though some of it was fake news.  As the news organizations were all wanting to be the first to break a story, they misidentified the men as marines.  Two of the men, Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone were in the armed forces, but none of them with Marines.  Bottom line though is that they were men who just reacted to the situation and knew they should do everything within their power to stop it.

The book is written in 3 parts – one part about each man.   Most of the book is background about each man, how they became friends, the path their lives had taken and how they all three ended up on the train.   It is interesting to read the back story and the way that they each responded to becoming famous overnight.   They all three reflect on how God had a hand in it.  How so easy things could have been different, even back to the three becoming friends.   The book begins with the quote “Chance is perhaps the pseudonym of God when He does not want to sign.”  Theophile Gautier. That is a huge clue to their reflections.

I recommend this book with a few caveats.   First, by the end of the last chapter I felt as if the story went just a little too long, that things could have been covered in less words.   Second, the method of presenting the train attack and the background about the terrorist was not the way I would have preferred.   The attack is told in each part via Anthony, Alek and Spencer’s viewpoint.   While that is interesting, I would have preferred to read that all at once I think.  Or at least one big summary to begin with told from a third party view.  Also, the background on the terrorist was spread out too.   Maybe it’s my feeble mind, but it was hard for me to put that part of the story together.  Otherwise, it is an inspiring book and a reminder as Spencer said to “Live for each other and die for each other.” 


Educated by Tara Westover

This is a popular book – especially for Book Clubs it seems.   EBRP has 36 copies of the E-Book and as I write this, there is an approximate wait time of 9 weeks.   The book has been out since February of last year, so it has been popular for a while. When I hear so much hype about a book, I expect it to be fantastic.   This is an interesting, inspiring, cautionary story, but I didn’t find it to be fantastic. 
This is the incredible memoir of a woman raised by survivalist, Mormon parents in Idaho.   The family is not necessarily what I think of when I hear survivalist – they are not off the grid.  They do have provisions for when things blow up and there is a paranoia that surrounds the family through the parents.   While the story is about how Ms Westover was able to improve her life by not only going to college, but more than that, earning a PhD from Cambridge, it is also a family story full of all kinds of abuse.   

The book is well written and Ms Westover concedes that these events are her recollection and others have different memories of what occurred.   That doesn’t bother me as that is how memories are, especially among family members.   There are a few things that I find unbelievable, for lack of a better word, ,  such as how did she end up with a PhD when her homeschool education basically was learning to read and only reading the Book of Mormon and other related books?  She had not even heard of the Holocaust until her freshman year of college.  She was an introvert yet received a Gates Cambridge scholarship which as part of the requirements is leadership ability and outstanding academics even though the picture she paints of herself includes neither one.   I’m know she got the award, I just don’t see how it matches up with how she portrays herself. It makes me think there were things about herself that she views different from how they really are. 

The other thing that seems unbelievable is the amount of serious injuries different family members survived without having medical attention.  We aren’t talking a bruise or cut here or there, but some serious incidents.   They weren’t hermits so even though her dad owned a junk yard and several of the injuries happened there, it seems someone in the community would have raised questions with authorities.   Of course, I don’t live in the community and honestly I don’t know how people there react to “interfering”.   But numerous brushes with death, cuts and bruises should raise the flag for someone to see and take action one would think.

What I don’t doubt is Ms Westover suffered some serious abuse growing up and is still suffering a type of emotional abuse now.   I also believe that she has told her story as she knows it to be true. 


kaddish.com by Jeff Englander

A light, quick read about a wayward Jewish son that does not want to commit to saying kaddish for his father.   His solution, hire someone to do it through kaddish.com.   Fast forward a few years and the wayward Jewish son has become a devout Jew and is now struggling with what he did those many years ago.  His solution is to find the person who said kaddish and redeem his birthright.

A simple story told well, even though it would have been more enjoyable if I knew the Jewish terms used.   Larry/Shuli draws you into his moral dilemma and the methods he uses to resolve it.   I always consider a book successful when at the end, I wonder what happens next.   This is one of those books.   It is a satire, so not a heavy read, but it does have some good moral truths. 


The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The plot of this story sounds so promising and interesting.   A 13 year old boy is left basically parentless when his mom is killed in a bombing of the MOMA in New York.   The boy, Theo, survives and ends up leaving the museum in the midst of the pandemonium with a painting and a dying man’s ring.   The man told Theo to take both and gave him instructions of where to go with them.   From there we follow Theo in a coming of age story that has very little cheerful parts to it.   Theo grows up in different households, exposed to all sorts of things and people all the while having the big secret of the painting, The Goldfinch, hanging over him.
 
This is a long book – 772 pages.  This is a depressing book.  This is a book that has some gaps in it.   This is a wordy book.   Did I say this is a LONG book?!   My issue isn’t with the first 2  - long and depressing.  I have read long and depressing books and found value in them.   And it’s not so much the gaps. The wordy part though drove me crazy.   Ms Tartt would write a 10 line sentence to say something that could be said in 2 lines.   There’s gaps in the story, yet some things were told in such detail that I was left wondering the purpose.   For the most part, the characters are not likable, but at the same time I felt as many of them were underdeveloped.  The writing style just did not work for me.   I stayed up to finish the book because I was tired of trudging through it.  What normally would have taken me 2 ½ hours to read ended up taking about an hour longer because I kept falling to sleep.  Yet the plot kept me reading wanting to know the ending, which was a disappointment. 

This is being made into a movie and for once I am confident that the movie will be the better version.  As I said, it is a good premise, so taking that and the editing that will be done for a movie format, I think it will be a good one.  


Miller’s Valley by Anna Quindlen

After The Goldfinch, I went for a shorter read by an author I trusted.   Miller’s Valley is a small town that if the government has its way will be even smaller.  The goal of the government is water management – aka relocation of the people so the valley can be flooded and become a lake.  It begins in the 1960’s and is told by Mimi, a lifelong resident and one of the Millers of Miller’s Valley.

With the backdrop of the plans for the valley, this story is really about family and community.  I enjoyed getting to know each person and stayed engaged with the story, even though I knew where it was headed.   I do wish that at the end there had been a little more told of how the current day story unfolded.   In other words, it was a little too short for me.   There is also a little surprise near the end that some may not like as it is not fully addressed.   I personally like some open ended storylines.   It lets me use my imagination and leaves me thinking about the people and their story after the book is put down. 

This was my 3rd Anna Quindlen book having read “Still Life with Bread Crumbs” and “Blessings”.   I have enjoyed them all and recommend her as an author to read.


The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

I’m having a hard time with this review.   On one hand, I liked the premise of the story (a woman time travels in hopes of saving her baby who has a heart condition that will not allow her to live) and it is written by an author I’ve read many times before.   On the other hand, this is not the best time traveler book I’ve ever read.   In fact, I would say it’s on the bottom of the list.   I found it predictable - I pretty much knew where the story was headed all the way through.   There was also one rule to the travel that affected the plot and I don’t want to spoil anything, but it was applied wrongly in one situation.   The way it was applied changed the whole story.  This was not the only hole in the story, but the one that bothered me the most.     


From reading about the book, this is one that Ms Chamberlain had wanted to write for a while and she is very pleased with it.   It’s the 6th one of her books I’ve read, and unfortunately it is my least favorite.   But as I always say – that’s the great thing about reading.   My dud could be your favorite.   This one has great reviews so I’m in the minority.  If you are looking for a lighter time travel read, this may be the book for you. It just wasn’t the book for me.   


All at Sea by Decca Aitkenhead

This is a memoir about Ms Aitkenhead’s husband who drown trying to save their son. I am sure that it was a great way for her to deal with her grief, but honestly there isn’t much to this story. I don’t mean to sound cruel as it was a tragic accident and I have sympathy for the family. It did give a little view of how to react to those who are mourning. It may be a good read for someone dealing with tragedy to know that they are not alone in their thoughts and emotions.


The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

After reading “Finding Dorothy”, I realized that I had never read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.   I decided to remedy that and it became my treadmill/ArcTrainer read.   It was a good one for that.   As usual, there is more to the book than the movie, but they aren’t so far apart that it matters.   A nice little fairy tale.  


A Well Read Woman: The Life, Loves and Legacy of Ruth Rappaport by Kate Stewart - DNF

Ruth Rappaport grew up in Nazi Germany, was spared from concentration camps and ended up in America living with relatives.  According to the synopsis, she settled on a career as a librarian after other vocations.  That career resulted in her being a librarian in Vietnam and the Library of Congress.   I have to depend on the synopsis to know this because 1/3rd of the way into the book, I still had not reached the point in her life where she became a librarian.   Not only that, but the book is very dry and fact heavy.   Reading the title byline – life, loves and legacy – and the synopsis, I was excited to read about Ruth Rappaport’s life.   Now, I really am not interested at all.   Such a disappointment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i