Skip to main content

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup

This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

5 stars


Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett

This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though.

2 1/2 stars


Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth

An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.” In this book Savannah discovers that there is even more to her mom than the surface beauty when her mom ties herself to a 10 Commandment memorial to insure it remains in front of the courthouse. Savannah also discovers a few things about herself – such as how self-absorbed she is. Things get resolved, with a few twists along the way.

3 stars


Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian

Another good one from Bohjalian. I read this one because I had enjoyed “Midwives.” This is the story of an extended family – the mom, Nan, her daughter & family - Catherine, ,Spencer and Charlotte, the son & his family – John, Sara, Willow and Patrick. The granddaughters, Charlotte and Willow spend the summer with the grandmother each year. When the parents come for a visit, tragedy strikes when Charlotte accidentally shoots her dad, mistaking him for a deer. The kicker here is that her dad works for an animal rights group – she’s a vegetarian, can’t wear leather, has never been to a zoo and has definitely been taught not to kill an animal. A good family drama seeing how things are exposed and handled and how people can change.

5 stars


Multiple Choice by Claire Cook

A mother and daughter find themselves working as interns at the same radio station. This creates drama to begin with, because the daughter didn’t know her mom was returning to college even. After some conflict, an aspiring producer decides that he has a gold mine show sitting in front of him – a mother –daughter talk show. So, “I’m Rubber, You’re Glue” hits the airwaves. A fun story that at times sounds more like middle school drama than mother/daughter/college.

4 stars


The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Like all of her books I've read, this one drew me in. This one is a little more graphic than other books of Picoluts that I’ve read. The story line is about a 14 year old girl, Trixie who accuses her ex-boyfriend or rape. Trixie’s dad has been a stay at home dad – working on his comic strip and taking care of Trixie while her mom taught college. They each have their own demons that they are dealing with, but the love their daughter and are devasted by what she has experienced. This book will open some eyes about teens and how young some begin entering a world that in reality they are not mature enough to handle, even with "good" parents. A story that also explores how at times we see things more with our hearts than our eyes.

5 stars


The Innocent Man by John Grisham

I'm glad I read this book, but it is not your typical John Grisham. This is a true life story of a man fasely accused of a murder. At times I felt detached, as if reading a blow by blow account, when I wanted to read a story instead. In the authors notes he states that he could have written 5,000 pages. I think he had a hard time deciding what to put in and what to cut and it seemed a little fragmented. BUT, it is a good story and will make you think about the justice system and how sometimes instead of being blind, it has on blinders.

4 stars


Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

The story of the Land family.. They have a simple, loving existence with a father who can perform miracles, a sister who writes poetry about the old west, a son who should have been dead at birth, were it not for his father and an older son who loves and protects the family in a way that leaves him charged with murder and on the run. This begins a journey for the family that results in lessons of love, mercy and family. A very well written enjoyable book.

5stars


Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

I read this based on the recommendation of our preacher. The story loosely parallels the book of Hosea and since we are in the midst of a series of sermons titled “Minor Keys” this goes along with some of the lessons. I enjoyed this book and the symbolism of God’s unfailing love and mercy. The story is set in the gold rush days of the 1800’s and uses the marriage of an upstanding citizen to a prostitute to tell the wonderful story of God’s love, patience and forgiveness. Without the symbolism I don’t think I would have liked this book much at all, but the symbolism is so strong that it is a touching tale.

4 stars


The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory

Another one of Gregory’s novels about the royalty of England. The Constant Princess is Katherine of Aragon. In this story we follow her through her childhood, her marriage to prince Arthur and then to Henry VIII. Ms Gregory puts her own spin on the claim that Katherine and Arthur never consummated their marriage and how she ended up married to Henry. It is a love story and a survival story.

4 stars


Esther's Pillow by Marlin Fitzwater

Based on a true story that Mr. Fitzwater had relatives participate in. Set in Kansas it is a story of a community who set out to drive out the new school teacher. This story will make you think about the horrible effects of gossip, jealousy and peer pressure. It's amazing how all of these things can snowball into something so harmful as someone being tar and feathered. It's also interesting to read how deeply the community and families were affected by this. Mr. Fitzwater's writing style was a little too impersonal for me, at times I felt like I was reading a newspaper article, but the story is an interesting one.

3 stars

Comments

Corie said…
I just finished The Tenth Circle too... It is the second book by Picoult I have read, first book was My Sister's Keeper.

I really enjoyed the story, but the comic part of the book was hard for me to read. I skipped over a lot of the comic book text and wonder if I missed anything by doing so???
Jan said…
I've read 6 of her books now, have one in my TBR pile and one on the way from Bookins. "My Sister's Keeper" was the first one I read. I enjoy her style of writing and also how she makes me think about things.

I started out reading the comics but about half-way through decided to skip them. On her website it talks about the comics and how there is something secret hidden in each one, but I wasn't interested enough to go back and look for it.

If you have any favorite authors to share, I'd be interested. I'm always looking for new ones.

Thanks for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i