Skip to main content

2009 Book Reviews #6

A Father's Story by Lionel Dahmer

I think it's normal to view any event from the stage of life you are in. As I've gotten older, I view most events as a parent so it was interesting to read a book about a real life horror story written from a dad's perspective. I did feel at times like Mr. Dahmer was over analyzing events that happened in his son's young life. But then I also think that would be the normal thing to do - to look back for signs of what was to come and to try to figure out if there was anyway that it could have been avoided. He makes no excuses for his sons behavior, and in the end seems still as confused by it as most of us are. An interesting book.

Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman

The story of a woman who almost stumbles into a nomadic life. Ms Gelman finds herself in a marriage that is crumbling so she suggests a separation. To her surprise, not only is her husband in favor of it, but he thinks it should be for a longer amount of time. This sets Ms Gelman on a journey of travel as a nomad. She finds she can live on much less in the foreign countries she goes to. She sets about to not be a tourist but to be more of a citizen. A great true story that gives you a glimpse of places most of us will never see.

If Today Be Sweet by Thrity Umrigar

This book left me with a sort of bittersweet feeling. The story deals with a mother/mother-in-law who moves to America from India and lives with her "kids" and grandchild after the death of her husband. It covers her emotions and how she views things as wll as the daughter-in-law, husband and grandchild. There is also a second story of sorts as the boys next door are abused by their mom and the sort of culture clash that results. A multi-layered story that reminds us that the way we think things are, aren't always the way things are.


Bless Your Heart Tramp and Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark

This is one of my work-out books. It is a collection of short stories by a very funny woman. I didn't laugh as hard as I did when I read Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank, but still a funny book.

The Cross Examination of Jesus Christ by Randy D. Singer

This is a very well written, easy to understand book. In it Mr. Singer addresses not only the trial and death of Christ, but other events and teachings through the eyes of a lawyer. This is a very interesting perspective. Mr. Singer goes into the injustice and the character of Christ in such a way that it is hard to dispute that He truly is the Son of God. It is a convicting story that makes me realize how much was given for me and how unworthy I am. A very straight forward, inspiring, convicting read. It is an excellent read for anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”