Skip to main content

2009 Book Reviews #3

Crazy in Alabama by Mark Childress

This is the second Mark Childress book I've read and it wasn't as funny as One Mississippi, but it does have the same dark comedy. I never saw the movie but can see how it would transfer to film well. The story is about a woman who basically gets fed up with her husband who is stiffling her acting career, kills him, but can't completely let him go. While all that is going on, there is a civil rights uprising in the city she left behind. A very entertaining book that is thought provoking in it's own way.

When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan by Peggy Noonan

Reading this made me long for the days when Reagan was president. I know he didn't do everything right, but I do believe he was a man of character and morals who would seek God's guidance above all else. This should be required reading for all to see how America can be if we have the right leadership.

The Dead Don't Dance by Charles Martin

Another great novel by Charles Martin. A story of a loving couple who have everything to look forward to as they are expecting their first child. Things take a turn though when the baby is stillborn and the wife goes into a coma. It is a story of faith and love, but not one that beats you over the head. I love the gentle way that Mr. Martin brings Christianity into everyday life. Just like it should be.

Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison

A cute book. This was one of my "work-out" books. It is the story of three very different women and how they are brought together mainly by their love of shoes. The friendship that develops, the bonds that are formed and the resulting success is fun to follow.

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

A story of a man on death row for murder who wants to donate his heart to the child of the man he is accused of killing. The story deals with not only the convict and the family, but the other convicts, the lawyer trying to help him fulfill his wish, his priest. Of course Ms Picoult always has a twist - more than one - as usual. About half-way through the book I wasn't sure if I wanted to stick it out, but I'm glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

2017 Books Read - June and July

Stan Musial: An American Story by George Vecsey Being a St Louis Cardinal fan, I really enjoyed this book.  Years ago we went to his restaurant in St Louis and he was there.   He was walking the floor and giving out photos that he was autographing for anyone who wanted them.  Such a friendly, unassuming man.  The book really shows what a great man he was - coming from nothing, a hard worker, a great man and ballplayer.  It was interesting reading about the connections that he had - not only with other ballplayers (both on and off his team) but also with the community. A $500 House in Detroit: Rebuilding an Abandoned Home and an American City" by Drew Philip Ugh! This book brought many mixed reactions. It is the story told by a man who bought a house and an adjoining lot in a blighted Detroit neighborhood for $500 each and set about restoring the house. The interesting part of the book is stories about the neighborhood. The UGH part is when the author makes commen