Skip to main content

2009 Book Reviews #1

Everything Must Go by Elizabeth Flock

A story about a family affected by a terrible tragedy. The story is more about the paths that their life's take following the tragedy and the dynamics that follow. It is a depressing story and I still haven't decided if I'm glad I read it or not.

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson

I like Ms Jackson's books - this being the third of hers I read. When I started this one I wasn't so sure, but as I got into it and the characters developed, I found myself drawn in. I was a little disappointed in the ending - too much like a movie ending for me. But well worth the read.

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I must of been the last person on the face of the earth to know about this book. It was a Christmas gift from my good friend, June, and I hadn't heard of it before receiving it. I expected this to be a little depressing, but it really was full of positivity. In some ways it was a little too "surface level" for me, but I had to remind myself it was written by a man and a computer nerd at that. I think it is an encouraging book that most anyone would be glad they read.

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

This was one of my "work-out" books so it took me a while to read. It's probably a good thing that it did as this is one of the most depressing books I've read lately. In fact while reading it, I kept wondering why I wanted to continue. But there was something in me that wanted to find out how it all played out. It is set in India - in the midst of poverty and riches. The contrast between how the two live and the prejudices that were displayed was both unbelievable and too real at times. While it was not easy to read, I would recommend it.

Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund

I enjoy well written historical fiction and with this book Naslund delivers - as usual. The book is not only well written, but appears to be well researched. Marie Antoinette has never been a historical figure that I followed to much but I found myself really drawn to her character. Naslund has become one of my favorite authors and in Abundance, she has not disappointed.

Red River by Lalita Tademy

I really enjoyed reading Cane River and couldn't pass up reading another book by Ms Tademy. I must say that I was a little disappointed in this one. I felt more like I was reading a history book and didn't feel as connected to the characters. I was shocked by the events in the book and while I felt sympathy for those oppressed, I didn't feel empathy. It is an interesting read for the historical part of it.

Ahmads War, Ahmads Peace: Surviving Under Saddam by Michael Goldfarb

This was written by a reporter who was in Iraq during the beginning of the current war. Ahmad served as his translator, but he became much more than that. He was a historian, a political person (but not a politician), a father, husband, and community leader of sorts. He was a principled man who stood up for his beliefs. A good, eye-opening book of one man's experience growing up, living, and dying in Iraq.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”