Skip to main content

2008 Book Reviews - #4

Time to catch up! Since my last review I've read 17 books. You can follow the links for more details about each book if interested.

Since my last review I've read 3 non-fiction books -

Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer

Interesting book - worth the read. I read this right before the raid in Texas so it made all of that even more interesting. I still don't understand it all and will never agree with it, but feel a little more educated about the religion behind the belief.

You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again by Suzanne Hansen

Written by a girl from Oregon who kind of stumbles into being a nanny and then ends up in Hollywood working for the mover and shakers. A view into the life that is sometimes encouraging, but often not. Another enjoyable book.

Clapton by Eric Clapton

I am not a huge Eric Clapton fan but had read several reviews on this book that highly recommended it. My sweet friends gave it to me for my birthday and I did enjoy reading it. He has led an interesting life spanning many different stages to end up at a good place. Found out some surprising and some not so surprising things about Clapton. Another good read.

Of the remaining books I've grouped them into books I rate about average and those just so-so. First the "above" ones -

The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart

A touching story about relationships. Well written.

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Another story about relationships. A little predictable at times. I did feel like I knew the characters and wanted to follow their story.

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Allison Weir

Another historical novel from the Henry VIII time period. My first one to red by Allison Weir and I enjoyed it. I like Phillipa Gregory a little more, but will read more by Ms Weir.

The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle

This turned into one of those "wow" books for me. I was drawn into the story and highly recommend this book.

Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin

I like Charles Martin books. This one did not disappoint, even though I did find it a little predictable at times. It's not my favorite of his, but still ranks up there as a good book to read.

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Along the lines of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Quirky main character, good story. My first Steve Martin book. I'm looking forward to reading more.

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

As I've said before, I like Chris Bohjalian books. He always has a lot of layers and has a way of making me personalize things. Another good one.

The Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee

Good summer book - no heavy thinking, no heavy plot, just a fun book. Anyone from the South will know these people!

Embrace Me by Lisa Samson

Very well written and interesting book. It examines a lot of things about the church and Christians set against about as strange a backdrop as you can imagine.

Now for the "so-so" books. I'm just going to make a blanket statement about them all - None of them were so bad that I didn't finish them - they just didn't grab or entertain me as I had hoped they would.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Maybe I expected too much from this book, and I know it is deeper than what appears on the surface, but at times I felt as if I were trudging through.

Something Rising (Light and Swift) by Haven Kimmel

After reading her autobiography, I expected a highly entertaining book. I was disappointed - never really connected to the story.

Flies on the Butter by Denise Hildreth

This is a borderline average book - maybe a little higher. Written by the author of the Savannah books. It was a good enough book, once again just not quite as good as I expected.

The Cat Who Went Into the Closet by Lilian Jackson Braun

Entertaining enough - what I would call a fluffy novel. I enjoy lighter reading too and while this one wasn't awful, it just wasn't my style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”