Skip to main content

October Reviews

The Collectors by David Baldacci
4 stars


I like Baldacci's books. I find them interesting but they are not the kind of books that make me sit on the edge of my seat. This book has the Camel Club in the midst of murder and intrigue. Mr. Baldacci takes two different plot lines that end up melded together. An interesting book that is left open for a sequel.


4 stars


A true story of a daughter's drug addiction and recovery. This is told by both the mother and the daughter. It is a depressing and an encouraging story at the same time. Depressing to see how far Mia, the daughter, fell and encouraging to see the love of her mother, Claire, to help her at all costs to overcome. It took a little tough love from Claire but mainly it was the love that Mia had already had from Claire that helped her decide that being clean was something she desired and was ready to work for. A good look into the mind of one addict and how one family dealt with it.


Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
5 stars


After a "heavy" book I wanted a little levity and I got it from this book. Ms Jackson can tell a story in a way that I can see in my mind. At the end of her books I feel as if I know the characters and as flawed as they are, I like them all. I look forward to reading more of Ms Jackson's books.


Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley
4 stars


I'm not much of a history book reader, but I do enjoy a few "memoir" type history books from time to time. This is one that I felt compelled to read since it has been hailed as such a good book. I learned a lot about the battle of Iwo Jima. I had no idea how long it lasted or how brutal it was. I liked having the human side to those who went into battle. A well written book about a time in our history that must not be forgotten.


Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott
3 stars


I don't know why I didn't really like this book that much. For some reason I just didn't care for Ms Lamott's writing style. I can't tell you why, I just don't. However, this book does have some interesting characters. There are a lot of moral stories in this short book and I really wanted to like it, but felt like I was drudging through it.


Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik
5 stars


I enjoyed this book. It is one woman's life story. Violet is able to come from the depths of despair and discover the goodness of people and life. It's not an easy journey, but it is an interesting one and an encouraging one. I like how Ms Landvik spans the years and how it is a combination of Violet telling the story and a narrative. This is another book filled with people I wish I knew - and think that maybe some of them I do. Worth the read!


The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Burke
4 stars


I like James Burke's books about Dave Robicheaux. I know part of the reason I do is because of the setting. This story takes place during and immediately following Katrina. While that set the stage for the story, it is more of a background than I thought it would be. This was not a real suspenseful book, but it told an interesting tale of events that started before Katrina and the coincidences that kept people connected and torn apart. None of it in a good way. Once again, Burke kept my interest to the end.


5 stars


I really enjoyed this book. It is told by Dawn - a woman whose instincts aren't as bad as her sister, the Life Coach Halley, but aren't anywhere near great either. There comes a day that everything changed when Dawn first hears her dog, Chuck, talking to her, and then all the dogs at the Doggy Depot where she works. Chuck tries to become her instinct meter and when Dawn listens to him, there are mixed results. This is a fun story that is easy to read, and odd enough, believable.


Sherlock in Love by Sena Jeter Naslund
3 stars


I was disappointed in this book. This is the third book by Ms Naslund that I have read. Four Spirits is one of my favorites of the year. I was interested in this book because I had read Ahabs Wife and really enjoyed it too. I hadn't read Moby Dick but was still drawn into the story and thought the same would happen with this book. I just did not get drawn into this story though. I figured a lot of it out in advance and was disappointed. But not so disappointed that I won't read any more of Ms Naslund's books. I'm just going to chalk this one up as if I had liked Sherlock mysteries, I would have enjoyed this book.


Windchill Summer by Norris Church Mailer
5 stars


This book caught my eye on Paperback Swap. I think I read about it on a discussion forum. It had good reviews and since it was set in Arkansas, I decided I needed to check it out. I started reading and immediately knew all the places mentioned in the book - even though the names were fictional. I did some research on the author and found that she was actually raised about 20 miles from my home town. She went to Arkansas Tech which is the same college that Jack and I (and Bekah for 1 year) attended. She was actually an art teacher at Jack's High School, but he doesn't remember her. She is now married to Norman Mailer - has been for over 25 years. She wrote of Nehi Mountain a.k.a. Mount Nebo, the lake (Lake Dardanelle) and even the town I grew up in. That was all a little of a distraction to me. However through it all I found myself soon drawn in to the story. The setting is 1969 and while Arkansas is the main place, Viet Nam is a pervalent part of the story. The story has many layers as do the people in it. In fact the summer job that 2 of the main characters - Cherry and Baby - have is peeling onions at the pickle plant. Before the story was over I thought about how the story was much like peeling an onion - one layer would fall away to reveal another. It is a story of small towns, religion, war, family and much more. I'm glad I stumbled across it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”