Skip to main content

January Book Reviews

January's over so I thought I'd give a brief review of the books I've read this month. I discovered some real gems.

I started the year with "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. This is the tale of a family that faces some hard decisions when they discover their daughter has leukemia. They have a baby so they can have a donor to help save their daughter's life. This story is years later and is about the effect all of this has had on the individual members of the family and the family as a whole. It is very well written and makes you think. I give it 5 Stars.

My next book was the classic "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Very easy to believe that the events took place - unfortunately. A classic tale about the racial divide. Another 5 Star book.

"The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards is a story that begins in the 60's. Dr. David Henry ends up delivering his babies due to a snow storm. The fact that it was twins was a surprise. The first baby was a healthy boy, the second, a girl with downs syndrome. David asks the nurse to take the baby to a home - which she agrees to do. He then tells his wife - who had been put to sleep during labor - that the girl was born dead. The nurse ends up taking the girl and leaving town. The story is about the effect this big secret had on all of their lives. Another story that draws you in. A good book, but not as outstanding. I'd recommend it, but give it 4 Stars.

I changed genres and read Richard North Patterson's book,"Conviction" next. "Conviction" is about a man on death row who is down to his last appeals. The lawyers who take over his case, Terri, Carlo and Chris, discover many things that point to his innocence or at least that he should not be executed because he is retarded. The book is mainly about the legal system and how a person becomes entangled in the law and the system, losing their identity. This book touched me in many ways. What can I say, it's another 5 Starer.

The last book I read this month was "The Little House" by Philippa Gregory. This book was one that as I was reading it, I wasn't that impressed. It is about a couple and the husband's parents relationship. Let's just say that the mother-in-law is manipulative in a "sweet" sort of way. You know the kind of person that disguises her true self in the sugary sweetness of caring. But the book does take an unexpected twist and I actually enjoyed the ending. I probably shouldn't say enjoyed, but I always enjoy the surprise of a book without a cliche ending. So while I can't highly recommend it, I'd give it 3 Stars - an average read.

Not a bad list. I've got my stack for February. I just hope my 5 Star streak continues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”