Skip to main content

2017 - Books Read - March, April and May

The Dinner by Herman Koch
What a waste of time.   This book failed on many levels.   It is a nice premise - the story is mainly told during a dinner.  The participants in the dinner are 2 brothers and their wives.   But the story is as much about their sons as it is them.   There are a lot of sociopaths with anger management issues and you wonder how they were allowed to continue to behave that way without consequences.  There's also a twist of sorts at the end that made me want to throw the book against the wall,   Just a totally unbelievable story full of people I didn't like.

Keeper of The Light (Kiss River #1) by Diane Chamberlain
 I probably liked this book a little more than normal because I read it after The Dinner.  Plus I've read other books by Diane Chamberlain and I like her writing style.  This story is a story of love and obsession.   One of the main characters has passed away - Annie - having been shot while doing volunteer work.   The doctor who was on call and made a tough decision when Annie was brought in, is married to a man that is actually in love with Annie.  It is a little sad and unbelievable how the husband reacts and also the ending.   But if you aren't looking for a deep story, this is a good one.

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
While this book was interesting, it didn't quite live up to what I expected.   The book alternates between the story of the planning, building and implementation of the Chicago World's Fair and the young girls who were murdered during that time.   Both stories are interesting in themselves, but the combination of the two was a little distracting at times.   It's always interesting reading about places you've been, but overall this book just didn't draw me in to either story.

Everybody's Fool by Richard Russo
This is very much a character driven book and the bottom line is that none of the characters really interested me that much.   It is full of characters - sometimes hard to remember who is who and how they are related.   The story is ok - interesting at times, but at other times a little predictable and sometimes a little "what?!" moments.   I don't feel like it was a waste of time - an average story.

A Separation by Katie Kitamura
The summary of this book sucked me in.   It sounded like an interesting psychological story, but in the long run it was not a thriller at all.   The story is told inside the head of the separated soon to be divorced wife.   It just lacked emotion and basically had no plot.   Not as bad as "The Dinner" but don't waste your time on this one,.

The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens
A story of a woman who was forced to face her fears when she found herself abandoned by her husband.   It is an interesting story that takes us on a journey with Mary Gooch as she growts and  recovers hope.

11/23/63 by Stephen King
My first Stephen King novel that I actually read all the way through.  I rarely read SciFi.  I think I am too literal and just find most of it unbelievable.   However, time travel is something I can read and enjoy.   This story is about trying to change history and save JFK from death.   It is an interesting premise and read until the end.   Since reading this book, I have read comments that Stephen King does not generally end books well.   Based on my experience, I'd agree.   However it was worth the ending to get the rest of the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

2017 Books Read - September

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens I enjoyed this book.   It was a little far fetched at times - I mean how many times can you survive surprise attacks and a kidnapping?! The main character, Joe Talbert, is in college given an assignment to interview a stranger and write about their life.   He ends up in a nursing home interviewing a Viet Nam vet who had been convicted of murder.   Joe becomes drawn in by the vet and decides to figure out what is truth and what isn't.  A well told story that had more than one character that re-enforces the idea of how easy it is to judge when you don't know a person and what life has brought their way.   Nowhere is a Place by Bernice McFadden This is a good story, but I didn't like the way it was told.   It switches some between modern day and back through the years to tell the story of a family.   Their life through the generations was anything but flowers and rainbows.  It's hard to read about some of the situations and