Skip to main content

2010 Book Reviews - January

I read 15 books in January. They are quite a mix of styles and topics. My favorites this month were Night, The Justice Game, American Wife and Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

A classic but not one of my favorites. Predictable from beginning to end. I really wanted to take a pen and change it up some.

The Brambles by Eliza Minot

I would classify this book as an "easy read" but it actually deals with a lot of heavy topics - death, eating disorders, adoption, marriage issues and even a stalker. Surprisingly it was not a depressing book, but in some ways an encouraging one. It did take me a while to get use to Ms Minot's style of writing, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Night by Elie Wiesel

Wow! What can you say about a book that is a true story of being in a concentration camp. Such a sad, compelling story of survival. This should be a required book for everyone.

City of Light by Lauren Belfer

I enjoyed this historical fiction novel. It is set in the early 1900's in the midst of a hydro-electrical plant being built and the Worlds Fair occurring. This novel covers environmentalism, social issues, politics, romance and family. There is a lot of sub plots but they all tie together nicely.

My Brother's Keeper by ReShonda Tate Billingsley

I was disappointed in this book. From the synopsis, I expected it to be more about dealing with drug addiction and the co-dependency issues. It is really more of a romance with the drug addicted brother as just part of the story. If I had known what it was really about, I might have enjoyed it more.

The Justice Game by Randy Singer

Another great book by Randy Singer. I like his writing style, his subjects, and the way he weaves a Christian life into his books. This was a well written story centered around a lawsuit against a gun company. It is interesting to read about the legal, social, business, and personal plots but what makes this book even more interesting is that the verdict was decided by real people. Mr. Singer used a "jury" to determine how the case would be ruled. A nice concept and one that as I read the book I kept wondering if it would end up the way I would vote. If you like legal novels, check Mr. Singer out. I prefer his books to Grisham.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

A fable that is interesting enough. I guess it was a flashback of sorts to my younger days when I loved having my dad read Aesop's to me. As is the case with most fables, there were no huge revelations - just reminders of things I already know but often loose sight of.

Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

After reading Firefly Lane I was ready to dive into another book by Ms Hannah. I would not rank this one up there with Firefly, but it is a good story. It brings home the point that people and things aren't always as we judge them to be. There's almost always an understory that we don't know. The best we can do is open ourselves up to love others and allow them to love us.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

A sad book dealing with the Holocaust. If you are interested in that part of history, then you may want to check this book out. It does cover some of the role of the French that I didn't know about. It is a depressing story though, as you might imagine.

Idyll Banter by Chris Bohjalian

A collection of short stories by Mr Bohjalian. These are actually a collection of his articles written for a newspaper. They are mostly about his life in Vermont. I like his style and enjoyed getting to know him, his family and neighbors a little bit.

A Stolen Season by Steve Hamilton

A detective story that is interesting. Nothing spectacular, but enough to keep me reading to the end.

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

This is based loosely on the story of Laura Bush. I haven't read her biography, so I don't know where the line crosses from fact to fiction. I did find it interesting that even knowing that, George W and Laura were not the couple I pictured in my mind while reading. I really liked this book - an interesting story.

Carry Me Home by Sandra Kring

I like this book. The language is a little rough, but it is a good story about life during WWII told through the eyes of a brain damaged boy. Complex, yet simple at the same time. It brings home some of the realities of the aftermath of war.

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

Ms Landvik is becoming one of my favorite authors. I love her characters - relating to almost everyone of them. AHEBB is a neighborhood book club, but the story is not about the book club, but rather the relationships of the members. A wonderful story of friendships through good, bad and ugly.

Rachel and Leah by Orson Scott Card

I like historical fiction and Orson Scott Card does a good job of writing historical fiction based on Biblical persons. I enjoyed reading about how things might have happened between Rachel and Leah and why they both ended up married to Jacob. It did seem to drag a little towards the end, but I think that was because I knew what was going to happen. Worth the read if you like historical fiction and don't have a problem with it being about people who lived in Bible times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

Another Used Book Source

I've already recommended Paperbackswap.com as a great place to get and get rid of your books. I've recently signed up at another site - Bookins . This site is different from Paperbackswap in several ways. At Bookins each book is assigned a different point value where at PB each book is one credit (except audio books which are 2.) The other main difference is that with Bookins you print out the postage for any books you send out at no cost to you. You then pay $3.99 for each book you receive. UPDATE - I got the Bookins newsletter today and beginning Sept. 23 the price will increase to $4.49 per book. Not so sure if that's going to be a good deal for me or not. Other minor differences are that there is no "community" at Bookins. The books are all sent "delivery confirmation" so there is no need to log on and confirm that you received the book. Paperbackswap is my favorite of the 2 because of the simplicity of 1 credit for 1 book. Plus while I like the i