Skip to main content

2009 Book Reviews #2

I'm so far behind on my reviews. What follows is abbreviated reviews of some of the books I've read this year. On this list my top 3 would be - Three Junes, Same Kind of Different as Me, and A Thousand Splendid Suns

Three Junes by Julia Glass

I wasn't sure about this book when I first started it, but found myself drawn to the story and the people. It is about family and the expectations they put on each other and on themselves, and about love and basically just surviving life.

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

This is an easy read that is best described as a story. I found nothing deep in it or any layers, but did enjoy the word picture it presented. It is set in Holland and I could picture the life and the world that the characters inhabited. Another decent book.

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

A true story that is a tribute to a woman who saw people through the eyes of God. She lived a life of grace and service that reflected God's love in so many ways. It is a convicting story that inspires a person to strive to be the same.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A very engrossing story about life as a woman in Afghan. This is set during the 1970's through the early 2000's and all turmoil and upheaval of the country. It reads as a true story and is a book that draws you in and you will not want to put down in spite of the horrible events that surround the people.

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

I had not heard of this book until recently when I noticed it on several "must read" lists. It is based on the march of Japanese women and children in Malaya during World War II. The story centers around an English woman who was working in Malaya when it was invaded and she ends up in the group of prisoners. During the march she meets an Australian soldier and that is where the love story comes in. I don't know that I would classify it "must read" but it is a good read and worth the short amount of time it takes to read it.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Another classic that I felt like I should read. It is an interesting story in it's own way. Before reading this book, I thought it was a romance - kind of a romantic triangle. Instead I found a mystery/horror story. Not exactly what I thought it would be but not a bad read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”