Skip to main content

February Book Reviews

I was able to read 6 books this month and while they weren't quite the "jackpot" of January, they were good books. Here's a quick review of each one.

"Split Second" by David Baldacci was the first book of the month. I've read several of his books and generally enjoy them. While this one was an easy read and entertaining, I found there were several weak spots in the plot. The basic story is about one ex-secret service agent and a current secret service agent who both had "lost" presidential candidates - one through an assassination and the other through a kidnapping. They join in an investigation of the latest event. Not my favorite book, but not a complete waste of time either. This one gets 3 1/2 stars from me for being barely above average.

The next book, "Life on the Color Line:The True Story of A White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black" by Gregory Howard Williams was a disappointment to me. I think I expected too much from it. Last year our city began a program - "One Book, One Community". The idea is to choose a book that is good for the whole community to read and to provide discussion groups, lectures, movies, etc. that goes along with the book. Sort of a community wide book group. This was the first book chosen. I did not read it then, but was interested in it, so that is why it made my list of TBR. I think the disappointment stemmed from the hype. It is an interesting story of poverty and racism, but it was not exactly what I thought it would be. I found myself wondering why he chose the title that he did because the story could have been about several people (unfortunately) who had always known their race from birth. It is a story of a brutal, poor childhood and the triumph of a man through it all. Not something to be taken lightly. I give this book 3 and 1/2 stars, however if I had just picked it up off the shelf without hearing anything about it in advance, it may have gotten an additional star.

From these books, I went for one that in my mind is a little harder to take. I returned to a Richard North Patterson book and read "Protect and Defend". This novel explores late term abortions and parental consent laws and the parallel plot of appointing a new Supreme Court Justice. The story centers around a teenage daughter of conservative parents who becomes pregnant. The parents are supportive and plan on helping her raise the child. The big change comes when during a sonogram the doctor discovers the baby has hydrocephalus. In fact, it appears the baby does not have a brain. The teenager decides that instead of risking the small percentage of chance that she will become sterile by having a classical c-section to deliver a baby that appears dead already, she will have an abortion. The parents cannot accept that as an alternative, so off to court they go. I found several things in the novel that were a little offensive to me. According to this story, the anti-abortionists are stupid, ruled only by emotion - or the love of money, violent, mean people while the pro-abortionists are kind, loving people who base their opinion on fact. I also found it interesting in the area of parental consent that mere lip service was given to the fact that a minor can't have a tooth pulled without parental consent, yet should be able to have an abortion. The parents were painted as pulling the family apart by not agreeing to the abortion while the daughter was not to be "blamed" for that. I don't think it is that simple or that one sided.

While this book is predictable and does not completely follow my views, it was a book that made me think - and did make me angry at times and feel great compassion at times. It's not a book that will change any one's mind about abortion - or I hope it's not because there are too many holes in this fictional account in my mind on both sides. But it was a book that drew me in so I give it 4 1/2 stars.

After reading a heavier fare, I opted for some light reading with "Independence Day" by Richard Ford. This was a good story about a divorced man, Frank Bascombe, and a long Fourth of July weekend in which he does his job as a real estate agent, has a personal life, and spends time with his teenage son that has a few quirks in his personality. This was a very entertaining book and an easy read. I mainly enjoyed the book after the son joined him on the trip. 4 stars for this one.

Not being one to leave heavier fare alone, I dove into "The Pact". This novel by Jodi Picoult addresses teen suicide. It is the story of two families who live next door to each other, are best friends and long for their son and daughter to one day join the families as in-laws. It all takes a turn for the worse when the daughter, Emily, is found dead, and the son, Chris, is accused of murder. Immediately Chris tells that it was a botched up suicide pact. Investigation shows otherwise. The story unfolds going back and forth through time and relates how all of this effects each parent, the families relationship, the relationship of Chris to both sets of parents with a lawyer thrown in for good effect. Very good story, very well written. There were a few things I would have liked to have seen covered in a more detail, but well worth the read. About all I can say is WOW and of course it's a 5 star book.

I ended the month of February with a classic - Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". While it always takes me a while to get into the style of the classics, I do enjoy them. This is a wonderful love story and character story too. It's fun to see the relationships between the characters change over time. I know it's probably required reading for a lot of students, but that shouldn't keep you away if you have never read this classic. 5 stars.

Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2023 Books

August was one of the better months so far.  I read 12 books.  I guess that 's what happens when you don't have any trips.  8 of the 12 books were above average, 2 were average, and 2 below.  Here's my thoughts - Dollbaby   Laura Lane McNeal This was a book for Book Club.   I had not heard of it so it was nowhere on my radar.   Set in New Orleans during the fight for civil rights.  Even though that is the time, it is not a deep story.   The author is from New Orleans and at times it seems more like a travel brochure than a story.   There is a lot of local cultural references with an explanation for each.  This is this authors first (and only) novel.  I was suspicious of this being her first novel while reading and then confirmed it.   For me, it was an average read.   We did have some good discussion at Book Cub and it was interesting hearing other views about the story and characters. ⭐⭐⭐ French Braid Anne Tyler Anne Tyler did it again.   I think she is one of the best at

October Books Read 2021

   I read 6 books in the month of October.   That's how my reading goes - in ebbs and flows.   Part of it is life happens.   It was a busy month as we were able to take a long weekend for a runaway to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.   That was followed by my hosting Book Club, our granddaughter (and her mom and dad) from California here and a trip to Oxford, Mississippi to spend some time with a good friend and go see LSU on the football field.   All fun things and I was still able to work some good books in. I didn't plan it this way, but for the spooky month of October, all of my books were what I would call some form of mystery.   I would not say any of them were scary, but they all had some form of murder and good and bad guys and it was up to the reader to try to determine which was which.    Something else that was different this month, 2 of the books I read were from the library.   I grew up going to the library.  It was a wonderful place that I spent a lot of time.   For a fe

July Book Reviews

Twelve Years as a Slave by Solomon Northup This was a surprisingly good book. When I saw all the footnotes, appendixes, etc. I was afraid that it may read too much like a textbook, but I was wrong. This account of Mr. Northup’s life from freeman to slave and back to freeman was very interesting. It was a straight forward account depicting his slave owners as he saw them. One was a kind, Christian man, but the one he labored under for 10 years was a drunk who was fond of the whip. This book brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 5 stars Cutting Lisa by Percival Everett This book promised to be much more than it was. In fact, reading the summary on the back is more thought provoking and entertaining than the book. The book does have it moments of wit and dialogue, but overall a big disappointment. Good premise – not carried out though. 2 1/2 stars Savannah Comes Undone by Denise Hildreth An enjoyable book, but not as enjoyable as the first one – “Savannah from Savannah.”